Door window removal - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Door window removal

Old 08-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #1  

Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!

Door window removal

Ok, I’ve tried like crazy and gave up on the “cheat way” and decided to go the correct way and remove the rivets.

Does anybody know the procedure? I see people mention to punch the center out (i tried, it wont move) then drill the rivet.

am i the only one svared to do thiss seeing that the window is....glass??

Also dpes anybody know what drill bit size to use? Nobody mentions the drill bit size!!

Thanks guys!!
1989karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #2  
Supreme Member

Re: Door window removal

Get yourself a nice long and heavy punch. If at all possible, hook your fingers around the bottom of the window/track to keep it steady, line up the punch with the post in the center of the rivet and give it a swift whack with your hammer. The post should pop out fairly easily. Then use the smallest drill bit that is enough larger than the inner hole of the rivet to cut away the head leaving only the tube, drill until it just barely cuts through the head, and if necessary use a tool to pry the rim of the rivet away. Then you can push the rivet tube out of the hole with your punch.

The other way to go is to unbolt pretty much everything in the door, and wiggle/walk the lower window track roller out of it's guide. Detach the weatherstripping at the rear of the door. Then wiggle and walk the window until the roller is back by the gap created by removing the weatherstripping, and carefully work it up, tilting the window until the washers that retain the window to the lower track slip up and out of the door, then tilt the window towards the car rolling it over until the roller clears. It's like moving an oversized couch through a tight doorway, gotta get the angle just right. If you're not concerned about the door you can also flex the inner structure or the outer skin far enough apart to make a bigger gap, but I wouldn't recommend that if you want to save the door.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Get yourself a nice long and heavy punch. If at all possible, hook your fingers around the bottom of the window/track to keep it steady, line up the punch with the post in the center of the rivet and give it a swift whack with your hammer. The post should pop out fairly easily. Then use the smallest drill bit that is enough larger than the inner hole of the rivet to cut away the head leaving only the tube, drill until it just barely cuts through the head, and if necessary use a tool to pry the rim of the rivet away. Then you can push the rivet tube out of the hole with your punch.

The other way to go is to unbolt pretty much everything in the door, and wiggle/walk the lower window track roller out of it's guide. Detach the weatherstripping at the rear of the door. Then wiggle and walk the window until the roller is back by the gap created by removing the weatherstripping, and carefully work it up, tilting the window until the washers that retain the window to the lower track slip up and out of the door, then tilt the window towards the car rolling it over until the roller clears. It's like moving an oversized couch through a tight doorway, gotta get the angle just right. If you're not concerned about the door you can also flex the inner structure or the outer skin far enough apart to make a bigger gap, but I wouldn't recommend that if you want to save the door.
thanks Drew! I’ll have to try. Im scared about shattering the window but i’ll give it the ol one two and see what happens!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #4  
Supreme Member

Look at the bright side, if the window shatters, it'll be easier to remove.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #5  

Quote:
Look at the bright side, if the window shatters, it'll be easier to remove.

You have a point there lol
Old 08-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #6  

Quote:

I swear the rivets GM used in mine are made out of titanium. I tried a punch and it didn;t move the center of the rivet at all. It could have been I was scared to shatter the glass but still, I think I punched it pretty hard.

I ended up using a dremel cutting when and grinding off the rivet head then tapping the center out slowly..slowly because these things are damn hard lol

I then proceeded to grab the rest of the rivet and throw it far across the street as hard as I could. 1 down...2 more...harder to reach rivets of course.......to go.

Why did GM use rivets for these? I noticed in 1st, 2nd, and 4th gen videos that the glass is all bolted in!
Old 08-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #7  

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: Building turbo LQ4
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" with 4:11

1989karr throwing rivets like...

battmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by battmann View Post
1989karr throwing rivets like...

Damn right!!!! lol

Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #9  
Supreme Member

because rivets held the window in for 20 years?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #10  

Quote:
because rivets held the window in for 20 years?

lol but bolts did fine on my S-10 and Pontiac 6000 for the same 20!

I admit that bolts did NOT do well on my 1990 Camry though.....
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #11  

I got the monster out!!!
Old 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #12  
Supreme Member

Great success!
Old 08-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #13  

Quote:
Great success!

now for the passenger side AND i want to try get a set that i hope is still at the junkyard! I like throwing rivets lol