Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Difference in braking pressure rear drum brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Difference in braking pressure rear drum brakes

Hello

When I was at the vehicle inspection they told me that the difference in braking pressure on the rear brakes is too high.

Front is: 24/26 (left/right)
Rear is: 10/18 (left/right)

The handbrake strangely is okay (18/18). I mean both the hand and the foot brake go to the same brake shoes. So what could be the reason? Is there a brake pressure distributor on my car? The brake cylinders don't look wet, so no leaking.

How should I proceed to find the cause?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,710 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Difference in braking pressure rear drum brakes

Adjust them as high as they can go, and still be able to get the drums back on.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Adjust them as high as they can go, and still be able to get the drums back on.
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "as high as they can go"?
And how can I adjust them? Actually they should self-adjust themselves... Why is the park brake power balanced but not so the foot brake power? Both apply pressure to the brake shoes in a similar way...
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniversary
Engine: Stock 305 TBI, LT1 soon.
Transmission: V6 NWC T5 by choice
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen LSD with 3.23's

The parking brake works using levers and springs and a cable to expand the shoes. The brake pedal uses brake fluid to apply pressure to the wheel cylinder inside the drum assembly which then expands the shoes when braking. Same method of slowing the drum brake, but different ways of expanding the shoes.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:47 PM

Yes, I understand but that's the reason why I don't exactly understand why and how I should adjust the brakes. In the end, what happens IN the brake is basically the same with the park brake as with the foot brake. The brake shoes are always in the same position. So what has to be adjusted?

Iff the pressure on the left side is less than on the right side, it can actually only have to do something with the wheel cylinder, hoses or the master brake cylinder. If it had something to do with the brake itself, the uneven effect should turn up in both cases (park brake and foot brake).
Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 AM

Car: 88 Camaro V6
Transmission: T5

I have the exact same problem. 50 % less braking power on the right rear wheel. Parking brake operation results in more equal pressure.
EVERYTHING on both sides is new : drums, shoes, pistons, springs, adjuster,...
I adjusted the automatic adjuster like described in the Haynes and Hiltons. I performed all stop and go procedures mentioned in these books.
There is only one brake line to the rear, how can there be so much pressure difference?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:21 AM

Hi Camatruder

Well with me it was the left side but I've resolved the problem. It was easy. The guy at a cheap shop asked me whether the car wasn't moved for a while which was true in my case because I repaired the steering linkage and it took me quite a while. So he suggested driving a longer distance and applying the brake firmly several times. And when I was at the car inspection even I was surprised because everything was quite back to normal again without doing anything.

But in your case... hm... I could only think of the brake line. I mean there is a junction at the rear where the line is split between the right and the left side. Maybe there's a problem.
Did you also check the parking brake cable?
What about the front brakes? Is there any difference between left and right? There is a brake power distributor but I don't know how it works exactly.
Did you put the new brake shoes correctly? The longer ones to the front and the short ones to the back?
Has the difference changed in any way from before and after you changed all the parts?

Thomas
Old 02-01-2014, 05:31 AM

Front was ok.
I think the short shoes need to be installed on the front side.
When i bled the brakes, the fluid came out nicely on both sides.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Camatruder
Front was ok.
I think the short shoes need to be installed on the front side.
When i bled the brakes, the fluid came out nicely on both sides.
Oh yes sorry, I misinterpreted the picture in my manual. The short ones should be to the front.

Seems that I'm no further help to you . The replacement of all parts didn't change the pressure distribution in any way? I only thought that this could have been an indicator for what to look at a bit closer. But since you replaced everything... it's getting difficult.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Well i'm out of ideas. I checked everything. When the car is on my lift and i have an assistant push the brake pedal in gradual steps, at each point it feels like i need the same amount of force on both wheels to turn them.
Is it possible that the problem only occurs when the car is on the ground and/or is rolling?
Any input is highly appreciated.

Last edited by Camatruder; 02-02-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Because i doubted the main cilinder i replaced it, bench bled it and bled all the lines thoroughly but the problem is still there.
50 % less braking power on the right rear wheel than on the left rear wheel. Hand brake is ok (equal braking there). Since everything is new (see post 6), it has to be something with the pressure in the lines coming from that T-piece on the rear axle. Is that T-piece equiped with some kind of safety valve that directs all pressure to one side in case of failure at the other and can this be defective?
Can those steel lines fail? Bleeding went fine, the fluid really spurts out when pushing the brake pedal.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Did you adjust them up as high as they can go and you still be able to put the drum back on, yet?
Old 02-08-2014, 01:17 PM

Yes i have.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Do both pistons in the slave cylinder on the affected side move freely?
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 PM

Yes they do.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 PM

Car: Pontiac Trans AM 1984
Engine: V8 305 (LG4) with E4ME carb
Transmission: TH700R4

Hello,

I'm in the same boat...

2 years ago, I've had the same problem (rear right wheel braking more than the rear left wheel). I've changed everything (braking lines from the T to each wheel cylindrer, wheel cylinders, drums, springs, shoes, adjusting screws, all the hardware and the 2 e-cables).

I passed the inspection on the edge. I've thought that as everything was new it had to do some break-in period before everything would be fully operational.

Today I went to the inspection, and it happened again (right wheel braking more than the left wheel).

So I wanted to know if some of you solved the problem on their cars.

For your information, the e-cables are disconnected, to be sure they aren't used during the braking and the adjusting screws on each side are set in a way I can barely install the drums in place.

I am thinking about uninstalling the T between the left and right lines, because it is the only thing that comes to my mind.
I believe it cannot be a bad thing to check if it is clogged a bit, explaining the pressure difference.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: L31
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Funnily enough I have this same problem too! Even my mechanic couldn't find a fault. Totally new brakes cylinders etc all round on my car.

Right side weaker than left. Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 AM

Sorry for not replying what resolved it in my case. I took my new (Summit) drums to a shop who rounded them precisly and after that i passed inspection easily. The hint came from the inspector himself who told me that he could not get a steady reading probably because of out-of roundness of the drum. Next inspection is in march next year, i'm already wondering if i"ll pass this time...
Old 12-05-2014, 03:50 PM

Ok. I doubt that is my problem as my pressure is stable just low on right side. The drums are GM replacements too, with new wheel cylinders and shoes. Got me stumped.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Hello,

I've found the problem on my car.

It was coming from the passenger side wheel cylinder which braked too much and not from the driver side cylinder, which I believed at the beginning was too weak when braking.

The problem on the passenger side wheel cylinder was a seal which was not installed correctly. When I mean seal, I am talking about the circular rubber piece, inside the cylinder, which is between the spring and the piston. The seal was not perpendicular to the cylinder and was stuck in its position. So it prevented its assigned piston to be forced out of the cylinder, reporting all the brake pressure on the other piston, which was the one in contact with the primary shoe. It created a very big difference in braking power between the left and right side.

For your information, the part was new when installed nearly two years ago and didn't leak at all, even with the seal not in the right position. But as the problem happened as soon as it was installed, I think it was badly assembled from the factory.

From now on, I will always check inside a new wheel cylinder before installing it.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Excellent, good to know. My wheel cylinders are new too so I guess I will have to check inside for this.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How are they testing brake pressure at each wheel? Where is this at?, we don't have any inspection here in TN.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Here in France, during an inspection, they don't test the brake pressure on each wheel but the force of the braking on each wheel.

They use a device which looks like a dynamometer but instead of measuring the power of the engine, it measures the braking.

If, on the same axle, one of the wheel is braking more than the other, you can record it. Above a certain value (in France it is 30% of difference), it is considered you have a braking problem on one of the wheel.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:24 PM

^^^^^ Same system is used here in New Zealand but the allowed imbalance is only 20%..
Old 12-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That's interesting. I have been a state certified inspector in 2 different states working at GM dealerships. Our inspections in the states that actually have them are generally a quickie and all visual, no dynamic testing. The only actual test was emissions in the states or counties that required it.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Beeman
That's interesting. I have been a state certified inspector in 2 different states working at GM dealerships. Our inspections in the states that actually have them are generally a quickie and all visual, no dynamic testing. The only actual test was emissions in the states or counties that required it.
Funnily enough we don't have emissions testing although if your vehicle smokes a lot it can be failed. There is a standard to assess smoke duration /quantity but I'm not sure what it is exactly.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:25 PM

We have the following tests here : dynamic tests (suspension, main brakes, parking brake) + emissions test + good working of all the main devices (headlights, tail lights, turning lights, brake lights, wipers, horn, seat belts) + visual / hand inspection (VIN plates, body, underbody, rust, windshield, leaks, wheel bearings, steering linkage / ball joints, tire wear, exhaust system).
Old 12-13-2014, 07:04 PM

82trans........that's pretty much the exact same format our tests follow.

Ours are 6 monthly for older vehicles and for post 2012? (I think (not sure about this)),1 yearly .
Old 12-13-2014, 08:20 PM

We have this inspection every 2 years for all the cars which are at least 4 years old, and it doesn't matter when the car was built (50 years ago or 4 years ago).

But it depends on the kind of title the car has : regular or oldtimer.

If it is regular (like my car), it is like I said above.

If it is oldtimer (it must be at least 30 years old, but this title is not mandatory for a car older than 30 years), since 4 years, they should have an inspection every 5 years.
But it is quite unclear because 4 years ago, they didn't have to pass an inspection at all to allow them to be driven, and I know some people who are still driving them without trouble and who haven't done an inspection yet
Old 01-06-2015, 07:29 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 355, Vortec heads, XE274 cam, 9.8-1
Transmission: 700r4 built for 800-900hp
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Gov Lock, Soon to change

Gonna be that guy that read 85% of posts then skipped.

Not sure if your guys problems where resolved with rear brakes yet or not, But for anyone in the future that has more power on one side or the other.

First thing i always check is your Rear proportioning valve on the axle itself.

Unbolt it, Unhook it take it out, Spray some brake cleaner in it. Some of these cars have a block, Some have a proportioning valve depending on year, Package and alll that,

They get clogged on 1 side or the other and allow one side to have better brakes than the other, Mine was the left side would lock up, Right would not at all.
I replaced my wheel cylnders, Drums shoes. Bleed the brakes and still the same, I took my valve off. Cleaned it and there was a thick rust colored gunk inside. Once i got it all out and reinstalled it was perfect.
I know that on old vette's we use to smack them with a hammer a few times to fix this problem also.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:23 AM

Thanks I'll check That too
Old 01-08-2015, 10:58 AM

Mine is just a T-piece.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Just thought I would update this post with my fix.

My brake shop was stumped as to my problem. He tested everything couldn't find a fault. Finally in an effort to eliminate step by step he machined the weak side to remove glaze, made it worse, machined the strong side, problem fixed.

What a relief. Finally passed inspection.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by Chevy2035
[LEFT]First thing i always check is your Rear proportioning valve on the axle itself.
The combination valve (proportioning valve) is underhood on our cars.

JamesC
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by loopy
Ok. I doubt that is my problem as my pressure is stable just low on right side. The drums are GM replacements too, with new wheel cylinders and shoes. Got me stumped.

Well i guess it was the same solution as mine!
Had a new inspection last week and passed it easely.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:42 PM

Car: 87 Sports coupe
Engine: 350 with modified vortec heads
Transmission: modified 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 gears

I had the exact same problem with the rear drums on mine too with right wheel stronger brake force than left side resulting in failed w.o.f. Had me stumped too for a while. I knocked the plugs out of the backing plates and adjusted the shoes manually. What this did was change the braking force around and I ended up having more braking on left rear than right! Now I really thought about this for a while and have realised that the self adjusters only work when the car is reversed. What I did then was do several hard reverse stops and Presto! Perfect brake force both rear wheels. Cant guarantee that this will work for everyone but its certainly worth trying as you don't have to get dirty.