Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Sketchy brake diving/pulling issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sketchy brake diving/pulling issue

If you punch the brakes at any speed, my 88 firebird pulls hard to the left, and at high speed it's getting somewhat dangerous (when you arent expecting it). I bought the car about a month ago and tore apart the front brakes, expecting them to be fried, but it had nearly new pads, calipers, and rotors with even wear.
Thinking one of the slide pins may have been seized, I cleaned and lubed it all and put it back together. Still does the same thing.
Possibly related: over the 3 months the car has been sitting, I noticed a small spot of brake fluid from the left rear drum, coming from the inside. I took the drums off and the brakes still look operational, just wet from where the wheel cylinder is leaking. Is this without a doubt, 90% the problem? It seems obvious, but I wanted some input before I start throwing something as boring as drum brake parts at it.
I was an auto tech for awhile, and the pulling really does feel like it's coming from the front. What are the chances the rear brakes are working at full capacity anyway (enough to cause the pulling)
Thanks
Old 07-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Sketchy brake diving/pulling issue

My money is in a failing rubber flex hose up front causing this issue. Replace them both.

Rebuild the rear brakes either way, since they are leaking. Do both sides, and the flex hose too.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
My money is in a failing rubber flex hose up front causing this issue. Replace them both.

JamesC
Old 07-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Replace all of the flex hoses though. After you said the front brakes were fine I would have almost bet that the right rear would have had the leak or issue though.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Go Blue
I agree. Replace all of the flex hoses though. After you said the front brakes were fine I would have almost bet that the right rear would have had the leak or issue though.
Have the front hoses on order. I think carefully test drive it after installing them, and if it fixes the issue mabye I can get away with just buying the one wheel cylinder.
The lack of vacuum from a big cam already makes the brakes in the car less than ideal; it would be nice to at least have them more predictable.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 PM

Problem solved. The passenger hose looked kinked and was missing its outer jacket in that spot. Naturally, I ordered two drivers side hoses by accident. I see they are identical except for the way they go into the hanger bracket thing. That was easily "adapeted" with a die grinder.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by 82transm
The lack of vacuum from a big cam already makes the brakes in the car less than ideal; it would be nice to at least have them more predictable.
Some turbo cars have vacuum reservoirs. I know the Stealth I owned had one. Has anyone ever adapted one of these to alleviate this issue? I have never personally looked into how it gets all hooked in, but I knew it was there.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always install a vacuum canister to help alleviate that issue. A lot of people with big cams do that.