Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

87 vert map light or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Vert Special Edition
Engine: 305 TPI LB9
Transmission: Auto
87 vert map light or no?

Only two lights are engaged when you open the doors which are by passenger and drivers legs. Was there a mirror with an additional light on this year? Can't seem to find any info.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

My 89 convertible has the dual maplights on the rear view mirror
Old 08-13-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear

My '91 TA only illuminates the dual "Map Lights". There is a third light on the mirror and I always thought it was to provide light to the radio/heater panel above the console. I could never trace it to find out why it would not light when the car's lights were turned on. I thought that ASC cut the leads to it somewhere when doing the convertible conversion. Since it was just an annoyance and not an issue with me, I just let it go. I bought my car new, so I know it was that way from the beginning. If there is an answer, I sure would like to find out what it is.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by tavert91
My '91 TA only illuminates the dual "Map Lights". There is a third light on the mirror and I always thought it was to provide light to the radio/heater panel above the console. I could never trace it to find out why it would not light when the car's lights were turned on. I thought that ASC cut the leads to it somewhere when doing the convertible conversion. Since it was just an annoyance and not an issue with me, I just let it go. I bought my car new, so I know it was that way from the beginning. If there is an answer, I sure would like to find out what it is.
My 92 vert has the mirror map lights.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:26 PM

Does your also have the small light that is incorporated in the left side of the right reading light? Mine has this third light but it has never had any power to it. I always thought it was part of the T Top set up that was removed by ASC when our cars were made into convertibles.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The extra light is used on later Firebirds, it's an ash tray light. Camaros have it in the bottom of the dash. It's just for ambient light on the most moonless light to help cast a little light on the console/radio area.

Should be easy enough to connect. Just connect the gray wire.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Thanks, Drew. I tried to trace that wire once when I was working on the header panel and failed to find where it went below the A pillar. Guess I should just try again when I next have it apart. A wire is connected at the bulb socket but I don't recall the color. Grey wire you say, huh? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by sgeorges714
Only two lights are engaged when you open the doors which are by passenger and drivers legs. Was there a mirror with an additional light on this year? Can't seem to find any info.
Do have a rearview mirror in your car now? I assume not or you would be able to just look under and see if the lights are in the bottom. You may be able to pull down the plastic header panel and see if there is a wire tucked under there. I would assume if there was an option for one that it would be pre wired. MY 91 has map light switches on the bottom of the rearview to turn them on without opening the door.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by tavert91
Thanks, Drew. I tried to trace that wire once when I was working on the header panel and failed to find where it went below the A pillar. Guess I should just try again when I next have it apart. A wire is connected at the bulb socket but I don't recall the color. Grey wire you say, huh? Thanks.
Yep, same one that powers all the dimming lights in the dash. You should have four wires, white & orange for the dome light circuit, black for ground, and gray for the ash tray light. On a 91-92 hardtop, you'd also have a pasty yellow for the third brake light on the inside of the hatch. Anyway, the black wire runs from the mirror up to the windshield frame and is grounded, and on a hardtop it'd T-off and run with the pasty yellow to the third brake light. The rest of the wires snake along the windshield frame and down the driver's A pillar, to a tiny 4 pin black connector that usually hangs out around the fuse box. You might need to poke around a bit, but it'll be near the pink/orange wire plug where the power window/lock harness connects, and the driver's door pin switch wires (tan & white).

Excuse the dust, this dash has been sitting in the corner for awhile.

Normally there's a white wire along with the tan that would go to the pin switch.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: IROC and 65 Mustang
Engine: IROC V-8
Axle/Gears: posi traction

I have an 88 Iroc convertible and I am the third owner (bought from my brother) it did not have the map lights in the mirror and I thought whe footwell lights were always inadequate. So off to the local Pull and Pay and found a mirror with maplights out of a 91 Camaro, made sure to get the wiring harness and plug all the way down the pillar and under the dash just in case I did not find any of that in my Red convertible. Luckily after I removed header and window pillar on my car I found the plug taped to another part of a larger harness under the dash. Installed the mirror, ran the wires from the mirror across the header panel, down the window pillar and plugged it into the harness and viola' now I have much better light in the cabin at night (by the way I kept the old lightless mirror just in case)

fivestar
Old 09-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Originally Posted by fivestar
I have an 88 Iroc convertible and I am the third owner (bought from my brother) it did not have the map lights in the mirror and I thought whe footwell lights were always inadequate. So off to the local Pull and Pay and found a mirror with maplights out of a 91 Camaro, made sure to get the wiring harness and plug all the way down the pillar and under the dash just in case I did not find any of that in my Red convertible. Luckily after I removed header and window pillar on my car I found the plug taped to another part of a larger harness under the dash. Installed the mirror, ran the wires from the mirror across the header panel, down the window pillar and plugged it into the harness and viola' now I have much better light in the cabin at night (by the way I kept the old lightless mirror just in case)

fivestar
I have no lights in my mirror either and think the same thing. The floor lights are inadequate at night. I may try to do the same thing and obviously save the original mirror.