87 vert map light or no? - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

87 vert map light or no?

Reply

Old 08-12-2018, 08:07 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sgeorges714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 77
Car: 1987 Z28 Vert Special Edition
Engine: 305 TPI LB9
Transmission: Auto
87 vert map light or no?

Only two lights are engaged when you open the doors which are by passenger and drivers legs. Was there a mirror with an additional light on this year? Can't seem to find any info.
sgeorges714 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 PM
  #2  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (98)
 
my82roc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Levittown Pa
Posts: 1,780
Car: 86 Iroc,89 Iroc Vert
Engine: 305 TPI,305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4,700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi,3.27 Posi both PBR
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

My 89 convertible has the dual maplights on the rear view mirror
my82roc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:18 PM
  #3  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
tavert91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Destin, Florida
Posts: 493
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

My '91 TA only illuminates the dual "Map Lights". There is a third light on the mirror and I always thought it was to provide light to the radio/heater panel above the console. I could never trace it to find out why it would not light when the car's lights were turned on. I thought that ASC cut the leads to it somewhere when doing the convertible conversion. Since it was just an annoyance and not an issue with me, I just let it go. I bought my car new, so I know it was that way from the beginning. If there is an answer, I sure would like to find out what it is.
tavert91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:42 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Vanilla Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 928
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

Originally Posted by tavert91 View Post
My '91 TA only illuminates the dual "Map Lights". There is a third light on the mirror and I always thought it was to provide light to the radio/heater panel above the console. I could never trace it to find out why it would not light when the car's lights were turned on. I thought that ASC cut the leads to it somewhere when doing the convertible conversion. Since it was just an annoyance and not an issue with me, I just let it go. I bought my car new, so I know it was that way from the beginning. If there is an answer, I sure would like to find out what it is.
My 92 vert has the mirror map lights.
Vanilla Ice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:26 PM
  #5  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
tavert91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Destin, Florida
Posts: 493
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

Does your also have the small light that is incorporated in the left side of the right reading light? Mine has this third light but it has never had any power to it. I always thought it was part of the T Top set up that was removed by ASC when our cars were made into convertibles.
tavert91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:42 PM
  #6  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (28)
 
Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Salina, KS
Posts: 16,808
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

The extra light is used on later Firebirds, it's an ash tray light. Camaros have it in the bottom of the dash. It's just for ambient light on the most moonless light to help cast a little light on the console/radio area.

Should be easy enough to connect. Just connect the gray wire.
Drew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 PM
  #7  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
tavert91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Destin, Florida
Posts: 493
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

Thanks, Drew. I tried to trace that wire once when I was working on the header panel and failed to find where it went below the A pillar. Guess I should just try again when I next have it apart. A wire is connected at the bulb socket but I don't recall the color. Grey wire you say, huh? Thanks.
tavert91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 659
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

Originally Posted by sgeorges714 View Post
Only two lights are engaged when you open the doors which are by passenger and drivers legs. Was there a mirror with an additional light on this year? Can't seem to find any info.
Do have a rearview mirror in your car now? I assume not or you would be able to just look under and see if the lights are in the bottom. You may be able to pull down the plastic header panel and see if there is a wire tucked under there. I would assume if there was an option for one that it would be pre wired. MY 91 has map light switches on the bottom of the rearview to turn them on without opening the door.
vinny R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 PM
  #9  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (28)
 
Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Salina, KS
Posts: 16,808
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

Originally Posted by tavert91 View Post
Thanks, Drew. I tried to trace that wire once when I was working on the header panel and failed to find where it went below the A pillar. Guess I should just try again when I next have it apart. A wire is connected at the bulb socket but I don't recall the color. Grey wire you say, huh? Thanks.
Yep, same one that powers all the dimming lights in the dash. You should have four wires, white & orange for the dome light circuit, black for ground, and gray for the ash tray light. On a 91-92 hardtop, you'd also have a pasty yellow for the third brake light on the inside of the hatch. Anyway, the black wire runs from the mirror up to the windshield frame and is grounded, and on a hardtop it'd T-off and run with the pasty yellow to the third brake light. The rest of the wires snake along the windshield frame and down the driver's A pillar, to a tiny 4 pin black connector that usually hangs out around the fuse box. You might need to poke around a bit, but it'll be near the pink/orange wire plug where the power window/lock harness connects, and the driver's door pin switch wires (tan & white).

Excuse the dust, this dash has been sitting in the corner for awhile.

Normally there's a white wire along with the tan that would go to the pin switch.
Drew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:30 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 176
Car: IROC and 65 Mustang
Engine: IROC V-8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: posi traction
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

I have an 88 Iroc convertible and I am the third owner (bought from my brother) it did not have the map lights in the mirror and I thought whe footwell lights were always inadequate. So off to the local Pull and Pay and found a mirror with maplights out of a 91 Camaro, made sure to get the wiring harness and plug all the way down the pillar and under the dash just in case I did not find any of that in my Red convertible. Luckily after I removed header and window pillar on my car I found the plug taped to another part of a larger harness under the dash. Installed the mirror, ran the wires from the mirror across the header panel, down the window pillar and plugged it into the harness and viola' now I have much better light in the cabin at night (by the way I kept the old lightless mirror just in case)

fivestar
fivestar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:48 PM
  #11  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
88IROCvertZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,337
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2
Re: 87 vert map light or no?

Originally Posted by fivestar View Post
I have an 88 Iroc convertible and I am the third owner (bought from my brother) it did not have the map lights in the mirror and I thought whe footwell lights were always inadequate. So off to the local Pull and Pay and found a mirror with maplights out of a 91 Camaro, made sure to get the wiring harness and plug all the way down the pillar and under the dash just in case I did not find any of that in my Red convertible. Luckily after I removed header and window pillar on my car I found the plug taped to another part of a larger harness under the dash. Installed the mirror, ran the wires from the mirror across the header panel, down the window pillar and plugged it into the harness and viola' now I have much better light in the cabin at night (by the way I kept the old lightless mirror just in case)

fivestar
I have no lights in my mirror either and think the same thing. The floor lights are inadequate at night. I may try to do the same thing and obviously save the original mirror.
88IROCvertZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FormulasOnly
Electronics
2
08-03-2014 10:48 AM
Birdstheword
Tech / General Engine
2
01-03-2010 06:35 PM
Dee
DFI and ECM
10
09-06-2001 08:27 PM
West Coast GTA Man
Body
5
09-03-2001 04:50 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 vert map light or no?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: