New to tuning and EBL-P4 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

New to tuning and EBL-P4

Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #1  

New to tuning and EBL-P4

Hi all. As stated I am just getting started tuning my Vortec TPI L-98 engine swap in my 86 Caprice Landau. I have the EBL installed using the 3005 bin as recommended by RBob. I need some help setting up the flags etc, I seem to recall a thread that dealt with setting things up but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I did test start the engine yesterday for the first time and it fired on the second crank and idled right down smooth so That battle is won.
Looking forward to getting this engine dialed in as this will be our road trip car.
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
F.I. 57 Belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #2  

Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Re: New to tuning and EBL-P4

Probably the tuning with EBL thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...uning-ebl.html

Can access the calibration help document by:

Start->All Programs->EBL P4 Flash->Calibration Help

RBob.
RBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBob View Post
Probably the tuning with EBL thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...uning-ebl.html

Can access the calibration help document by:

Start->All Programs->EBL P4 Flash->Calibration Help

RBob.
I have been looking through that thread and with almost 4,500 posts it takes a while to find use able information. I have printed the calibration help and getting started tuning documents and after studying them I am starting to get a grasp of how it all works. I was just looking for some basic getting started help on making changes. With some time and hopefully some help from the experts when I get stumped I will get it running great.
Thanks
F.I. 57 Belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #4  

Car: 1989 Formula T-Top
Engine: 350 TPI - twins are here!
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I have been going down this road for almost a year now (time permitting) and there is a lot to learn. There is no 101 that fits all. Read and re-read RBob tuning 101 articles on his website. Don't try and absorb everything, just where you are. Then read them again b/c you will not understand/absorb all what you read the first time.

There are multiple ways to deal with things so learn and try what you think is best and report your findings here if it is confusing.

You will start with watching BLM and INT. In closed loop they should act predictably. Know what predictably means. If you have *any* old sensors in your car (O2, IAC, TPS, etc) be prepared they are giving you goofy bad readings and tuning will be futile. Know how to test them to make sure they are giving good info to the EBL.

Learn how to record, playback and put EBL into learn mode and save that learn into EBL and see the improvements. EBL is awesome for that.

I have all the 4500 posts in searchable PDF format if you want it. Great for beginners like us.

Check and double check your work, one mistake can drive you crazy.

Check and double check for vac leaks. one can drive you crazy.

And let us know your progress.

Last edited by TallTim; 06-15-2018 at 04:01 PM.
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #5  

Car: 1989 TPI Formula, 1984 MCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTim View Post
I have all the 4500 posts in searchable PDF format if you want it. Great for beginners like us.
Is that something you would mind sharing with me?

New to TPI. Some experience with HP Tuners and LS based engines as well as Holley Terminator and 5.0 SBF.

Im just about to pull the trigger on the EBL for my 89 TPI Formula.
BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #6  

Car: 1989 Formula T-Top
Engine: 350 TPI - twins are here!
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Well pulling the trigger on the 89 is a perfect choice IMO!

PM me your email addr and I will send you a link to download the PDF it's too big to post on TGO.
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote