Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

LG4 to 5.7L vortec w/LT4 Hotcam

Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Trans Am GTA; '84 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350TPI; 5.3 LSx built
Transmission: N/A; T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt; 3.73 10 bolt
Re: LG4 to 5.7L vortec w/LT4 Hotcam

Just an update, I went over to Flippindabird's place yesterday, helped out with a part out, and worked on the Firebird a lil.

I helped him redo the entire timing and ignition on the car in a couple hours. The firing order was mixed up, the timing was way off, and the motor was likely on TDC on the exhaust stroke. So, we yanked the distributor, pulled the valve covers, I turned the motor to TDC on the compression stroke, using the valves. As soon as the intake valve closed, I stopped. Distributor went back in, firing order was corrected.

Once all that was done, it roared to life on the first twist of the key, I didn't even need to gas the carb. Flippin lit up like a kid on Christmas morning. While it was running at some point previously, this time something was different, when the throttle was nailed he said there was power like he didn't see or hear before.

Now for the hitch... In all the thrashing, and what not, we eventually puttered it down the street, only problem was the battery was no good. Another issue was, neither one of us finished tightening down the bolt on the distributor. He was working the distributor so I thought he did it, he thought I did it, then realized that niether one of us did it. DOH!!! So, with darkness, and having to push/tow the bird back to his garage (with a Honda Civic of all things) we called it a night.

However, all that pretty much confirmed he has it going right. If he can get the timing reset, that thing should come back to life, it is not far off at all. The battery was the biggest problem we had at the end. So, once the timing is fixed, he should be set to go. He doesn't have web access at the moment, so he chimes in when he can.