History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Almost Stole My Car!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost Stole My Car!

Well What a day it was! It all started when we were going up to Canada for a visit for the day when we had to get tabs for the GTA (expired March 2002) whoops. When we got to license department we were worried that we would need emission testing but with luck we didn't and we already had tabs? What happened to them? $7.50 for replacements. We drove to the border and missed the truck crossing which is always less crowded than the Peace arch. Ended up in a 3 mile back up so we rode the shoulder and took a short cut , we only had 25 minute wait at truck crossing. So far so good right? We got to Priscilla's parents (Inlaws)for a visit and all is well . Had lunch and shortly after lunch I ask her dad if he would like to walk to the corner store so I can pick up a Buy and Sell .It was a beautiful day for a quick walk. We walked past the GTA and he commented on how nice it looked. Now in the store I paid for the Magazine and exited (Took 3 Minutes) As we walked around the corner I glanced toward The GTA. That's strange a person is in the drivers seat that I don't Know! I instantly yelled " Hey Get the F#@#$ out of My car and started running towards him cursing him all the way!. There was a real clean white 85-86 IROC in front of the GTA with a preppy 22 -25 year old in it yelling at the preppy 22- 25 year old in our car. I got about 20 ft from the GTA and the guy jumps out and runs toward the IROC and jumps into his buddy's car. Now imagine how It would look if you were them seeing a 5' 10" raging mad 195 lb person running toward you full steam with a voice that sounds like a 7' 0" tall 350 lb man. Yes I have a very very loud voice ! As they sped away I yelled their license plate up 11 stories so Priscilla could hear and anyone within a half mile could here me Including the 2 punk thieves. Turns out the car they were in was stolen which I figured .They burned rubber and fast. When I looked at the steering column I was shocked at the damage and thought that I would end up with a 130 mile tow bill. I put the key in the ignition and turned it. All the guts were busted out, Doh ! I got a screw driver out and pulled the internal mechanism that the key would grab and it started !!!!! Yes!!! Waited for the cops for 2 1/2 hours . Told them the description of the car and the punks that did the damage and the perfect finger prints on the door. He said that they could print the car on Monday but probably wouldn't since it wasn't a homicide. What a "JOKE" . I had my Black Full size Blazer stolen in the same spot 2 years ago aprox same time of day 2:00 pm broad daylight, never to be seen again. Punks 1 Me 1 ! I feel very lucky and will probably fix the car without going through insurance since I have had 3 major claims in 3 years , all being no fault of ours. If I could have caught them wh knows what would have happened? Gun,Knife,ETC. I am not hurt and I will never come to Canada again when my inlaws are gone. I am originally Canadian and can say the Country as a whole has gone downhill. The Government sucks ,the Medical sucks, and the crime sucks!!!! Sorry fellow neighbors. 20 years in the States and the first 20 years there has made my decision. I have my American citizenship now!You are always welcome here just leave your thieves there. Two cars almost stolen in 2 years! The Police said over 300 cars are stolen daily in Vancouver alone .The car is a 1989 GTA convertible 350 .1 of 50. My Blazer was 1 of who the hell cares.(Alot).
Attached Thumbnails Almost Stole My Car!-vert.jpg  
Old 08-25-2002, 11:30 AM

Car: '90 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's
Re: Almost Stole My Car!

Originally posted by sixt8bird
... so we rode the shoulder...
I really hate people who do that.

At least your car wasn't stolen, but crack open a driver's ed manual.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:55 PM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
**** that sucks man. Atleast you got there in time, to nice of a ride to have some punks steal and sell for crap. Oh and if i ever see you commin down the shoulder behind me i am going to do what i do best and park halfway over on it. I love doing that, pissis the d1ck heads off. I have been here for 20 minutes so you're gonna be here too.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:23 PM

The traffic was backed up on I-5 and I rode the shoulder to exit about 300 yards up,not to cut back in line. I also hate the people that run up and then cut in line at the end! I exited and went through a different border crossing 5 miles east. .Any car ahead of me could have done the same.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like some very tense moments, glad to hear that you still have the car, sounds like the damage is alot better than what could of happened!!
Old 08-25-2002, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Jokerman
Oh and if i ever see you commin down the shoulder behind me i am going to do what i do best and park halfway over on it.
You do that too eh? I often do that when some idiot flys to the very end of the onramp before trying to get on the highway. Either that or I get a lot closer to the person infront of me (traffic is slow anyway). If they're gonna be that stupid and inconsiderate then they can sit there and wait. I love it when the guy behind me has the same idea.

Of course, I'm far more likely to try and block some bonehead when I'm in my Jimmy rather than the 'bird.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:55 PM

You guys would wait in border traffic to take the next Exit up to a 45 minute to an hour wait to go 300 ft just to exit. Come on! Give me a @#$ break ! That would be like waiting in a ferry line for the ferry to load up for an hour just to exit at a road before the ferry terminal ! Again Any one of those car could have exited also! The way I saved time was hit a different border which I waited at the end of the line! When people merge onto the freeway and think they can cut in way up ahead I pull out and block them as you would or don't let them in,but if traffic is stopped and people are exiting on the shoulder I let them go ! It gets those cars off the freeway! Real bone heads would prevent people from exiting. Why dont You block people from taking a right hand turn if you are going straight at an intersection! Hopefully you just misunderstood what I did and don't prevent people from exiting! Block the !#@$% from merging in way up ahead is cool with me. Nuff Said.
Attached Thumbnails Almost Stole My Car!-convert-drags-2-small  

Last edited by sixt8bird; 08-27-2002 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:58 PM

Sorry Wrong year.LOL
Old 08-27-2002, 12:04 AM

Sorry Wrong year.LOL
Attached Thumbnails Almost Stole My Car!-89-gta-convertible-350  
Old 08-27-2002, 08:15 PM

You're right, I probably would take the shoulder just to hit the exit for maybe a hundred feet if traffic is practically still, but no more. I'd also drive reasonably slowly in case someone jumped out in front of me. If it's moving at all then I'd sit there and wait. What's the hurry?

I meant mostly the people who floor it on the shoulder just to get ahead in traffic, idiots who don't know how to get on the highway properly (either waiting till the end of the onramp or just speeding onto the shoulder from there), and complete morons who actually jump lanes from the highway onto the onramp just to cut ahead. Wow I hate other drivers... But that's a thread in itself.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:02 PM

100ft, Oh come on thats only about 5 car lengths.Come on just alittle further like 15 car lengths ,you can do it ,just a little further.LOL. Yes I did go slow also. Didn't want to get hit!!!That would be almost as bad as getting it stolen not that I would know anything about that either .LOL Feeling better about it not getting stolen and locked safe in my Garage.:lala: :lala:
Old 08-29-2002, 08:44 PM

Yep, 100', if that. And that's only if traffic is at or near a standstill.

Just today on the QEW (Anyone from the Toronto area can reate) I saw two or three idiots jumping onto the onramp from the highway (totally illegal in itself) and continue speeding down the shoulder. Traffic was fairly slow but fast enough. It's ignorant, it's rude, it's dangerous, it's simply stupid. Not the same as what you did but it is one of my little annoyances. These are the kinds of people you'd love to just smack in the back of the head given half a chance.

Coincidentally enough I'm relieved my car wasn't stolen lately too. I left it in a body shop parking lot last Friday evening, after they gave me their word that it'd be moved inside that night. sure enough, it was still outside Saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon it was gone. I didn't know if they moved it inside (which they did) or if it had been stolen until Tuesday evening. Oh well, we'll give 'em hell for that.