a couple nice irocs at mecum today - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > History / Originality
Reload this Page >

a couple nice irocs at mecum today

History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 PM
  #1  
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
ray jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,227
a couple nice irocs at mecum today

1990 iroc convertible with 24k miles on it sold for 12,000
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-36...z-convertible/

1985 blue iroc with 6k miles on it sold for 14,500
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-36...camaro-iroc-z/
ray jr is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rockwell City, Iowa
Posts: 574
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: Auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

The blue 85 looks like someone was hauling *** on a bicycle and ran into the pass side rear quarter. And I wonder where the fuel door went? Not a very nice example for only 6k miles. I didnt see the vert on tv......looks like a pretty good buy. I am questioning the gold wheels on a gray interior car with red stripes, though.....
dagwood is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 PM
  #3  
Supreme Member
 
gt4373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,971
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

You Would Think They Would Replace The Fuel Door Before They Put It Up For Auction.
gt4373 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:30 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rockwell City, Iowa
Posts: 574
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: Auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

The highest dollar third gen at Mecum so far this week was this 83 Z28 with just under 15k miles. Sold for $15,400

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-35...et-camaro-z28/
dagwood is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:41 PM
  #5  
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
ray jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,227
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
The highest dollar third gen at Mecum so far this week was this 83 Z28 with just under 15k miles. Sold for $15,400

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-35...et-camaro-z28/
that is a very nice z28 with the sweet lear siegler seats .. nice to see it sell for 14,000 .. bet the seller walked away with 11,000 by the time it was all said and done .. he did very well
ray jr is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:47 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rockwell City, Iowa
Posts: 574
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: Auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by ray jr View Post
that is a very nice z28 with the sweet lear siegler seats .. nice to see it sell for 14,000 .. bet the seller walked away with 11,000 by the time it was all said and done .. he did very well
Strong money for a crossfire car
dagwood is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rockwell City, Iowa
Posts: 574
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: Auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Where did you find the hammer price on that 83?

So is the price on the mecum site the price that the buyer paid with buyers fees? Or is that hammer price plus seller fees? How does it work?
dagwood is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 AM
  #8  
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
ray jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,227
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
Where did you find the hammer price on that 83?

So is the price on the mecum site the price that the buyer paid with buyers fees? Or is that hammer price plus seller fees? How does it work?
all the mecum sold prices have the 10 percent buyers fees included .. if you watch the auction you will see that every car that sold live was 10 percent less than the marked sold on there site ..
ray jr is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rockwell City, Iowa
Posts: 574
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: Auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by ray jr View Post
all the mecum sold prices have the 10 percent buyers fees included .. if you watch the auction you will see that every car that sold live was 10 percent less than the marked sold on there site ..
I gotcha.....thanks man! That seems super steep! 10% buyer fee....yikes!
dagwood is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:14 AM
  #10  
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
ray jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,227
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
I gotcha.....thanks man! That seems super steep! 10% buyer fee....yikes!
and they get the seller for a entry fee and a sellers fee
ray jr is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 AM
  #11  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
88IROCvertZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,397
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Man, these prices are low for low mile cars.. The gold wheels on the Vert cannot be correct. It would have the gold decals and stripes with those wheels.. The fuel door on the 85 is a shame..

Who knows what the cars looked like in person. My guess is they’d need certain things restored to be able to show well.

I think there will be a fall in prices and then a more stable climb. I think there was a little hype over IROCs and sellers started pumping up prices to see if people would pay it. They aren’t paying it.

Also, with no reserve on these cars maybe it’s sellers just dumping these cars for cash..
88IROCvertZ is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
BizJetTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 694
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

You can get incredible deals at these auctions - I've seen cars sell for 30 - 50% less then what a comparable
car would sell for on ebay - a lot of sellers bring a car to auction with no reserve just to move it out of their way
and dont care what $$$ it sells for - you can do that when you have deep pockets like the uber wealthy have
BizJetTech is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rockwell City, Iowa
Posts: 574
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: Auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ View Post
The fuel door on the 85 is a shame..


It's the other rear quarter that's a shame. Replacing the fuel door is a super easy fix......fixing the rear passenger side quarter is a major overhaul, and to do it right requires a paint blend and then clearing BOTH quarters. I thought that car brought good money considering its gonna cost at least a couple grand to fix the body
dagwood is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM
  #14  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (4)
 
chazman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 7,353
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
It's the other rear quarter that's a shame. Replacing the fuel door is a super easy fix......fixing the rear passenger side quarter is a major overhaul, and to do it right requires a paint blend and then clearing BOTH quarters. I thought that car brought good money considering its gonna cost at least a couple grand to fix the body

Regarding blending and clearing, it's single stage paint which complicates things, no? I know you're a body and paint man.
chazman is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rockwell City, Iowa
Posts: 574
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: Auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by chazman View Post
Regarding blending and clearing, it's single stage paint which complicates things, no? I know you're a body and paint man.
If its single stage paint, then painting both quarters is the RIGHT way to do it. You can do a sail panel blend instead......but its damn near impossible to make the blend invisible.
dagwood is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM
  #16  
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
ray jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,227
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by BizJetTech View Post
You can get incredible deals at these auctions - I've seen cars sell for 30 - 50% less then what a comparable
car would sell for on ebay - a lot of sellers bring a car to auction with no reserve just to move it out of their way
and dont care what $$$ it sells for - you can do that when you have deep pockets like the uber wealthy have
if you have a desirable car they will always bring good money .. reserve or no reserve .. theres alot of cars bringing good money at mecum .. i wish i could get 50% off a grand national or 69 302 camaro .. just doesnt happen
ray jr is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:57 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 714
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by ray jr View Post
if you have a desirable car they will always bring good money .. reserve or no reserve .. theres alot of cars bringing good money at mecum .. i wish i could get 50% off a grand national or 69 302 camaro .. just doesnt happen
Mecum to me seems more like a buyers type auction. I have seen great deals on great cars at these auctions. The Flame red vert above is one of those. Someone got a great buy on that low production vehicle in great shape.
B-J is the polar opposite of Mecum, high prices, stuffy shirts. I also like the way Frank works with the buyer and seller out in the open to get a deal done.
vinny R is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:14 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
BizJetTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 694
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by ray jr View Post
if you have a desirable car they will always bring good money .. reserve or no reserve .. theres alot of cars bringing good money at mecum .. i wish i could get 50% off a grand national or 69 302 camaro .. just doesnt happen
Yea, I'm talking about cars in less demand like our 3rd gens....69 Z/28's, GN's, chevelles, etc usually dont fall into this category
BizJetTech is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:14 PM
  #19  
Moderator
 
scottmoyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 7,706
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
I am questioning the gold wheels on a gray interior car with red stripes, though.....
There is no questioning the gold wheels on this car. A dark red metallic car, with the black/red stripe was only available with grey interior and SILVER wheels.
scottmoyer is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM
  #20  
Supreme Member
 
KMK454's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,204
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by BizJetTech View Post
You can get incredible deals at these auctions - I've seen cars sell for 30 - 50% less then what a comparable
car would sell for on ebay - a lot of sellers bring a car to auction with no reserve just to move it out of their way
and dont care what $$$ it sells for - you can do that when you have deep pockets like the uber wealthy have
Buyer beware.

I've driven, parked, and arranged inventory as a volunteer at a well known auction and have attended numerous other big name, televised auto auctions. There's often a reason why the owners sell these cars at a venue where buyers can't do a test drive. Sometimes it makes sense - if you have a perfect piece of history, you want top dollar and don't want people hurting it. But if you have a lemon that presents well in a fluorescent light-filled auction tent complete with a bar, it also makes sense...
KMK454 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:15 PM
  #21  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (4)
 
chazman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 7,353
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
Buyer beware.

I've driven, parked, and arranged inventory as a volunteer at a well known auction and have attended numerous other big name, televised auto auctions. There's often a reason why the owners sell these cars at a venue where buyers can't do a test drive. Sometimes it makes sense - if you have a perfect piece of history, you want top dollar and don't want people hurting it. But if you have a lemon that presents well in a fluorescent light-filled auction tent complete with a bar, it also makes sense...
Same here, Kurt. Some are super nice and well sorted, and others are shiny pieces of crap. They both look the same on the auction block. I've had people who were interested in bidding on a car ask me what I think as I was driving it in, if it's a POS, I'll tell them.
chazman is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 714
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by chazman View Post
Same here, Kurt. Some are super nice and well sorted, and others are shiny pieces of crap. They both look the same on the auction block. I've had people who were interested in bidding on a car ask me what I think as I was driving it in, if it's a POS, I'll tell them.
Than what would be different when you buy something online and have it shipped? You are kinda doing the same thing. I would think at least at an auction you cam give a full visual in person,( see if it has a case of the drips), isn't that taking much less of a chance that purchasing from ebay?

How do you guys get to volunteer to drive the cars? I go to one of those Big Auctions here in SoFlo every year.
vinny R is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 09:51 AM
  #23  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (4)
 
chazman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 7,353
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: a couple nice irocs at mecum today

Originally Posted by vinny R View Post
Than what would be different when you buy something online and have it shipped? You are kinda doing the same thing. I would think at least at an auction you cam give a full visual in person,( see if it has a case of the drips), isn't that taking much less of a chance that purchasing from ebay?

How do you guys get to volunteer to drive the cars? I go to one of those Big Auctions here in SoFlo every year.
Our Camaro club is paid by Mecum to drive and the members volunteer to do it.

There is a risk when you buy something online, I've done it several times and there are always surprises.

At auction however, you might get an utter, unsorted POS, which has gone through a complete cosmetic restoration in an attempt to get top dollar for a $h!tty car. I remember I once drove a '66 Mustang at Mecum. Keep in mind, you may not drive far at auction, but you spend a bunch of time in it waiting in line. This '66 Mustang had fresh paint, new carpeting and seat covers. The car looked like a pretty sharp little sitting there.I thought.
I rolled down the window and the crank came off in my hand. Soon after that, something let go on the shifter and I could only use one forward gear. Within a few minutes, it started to overheat. A couple other bad things I can't remember. That car sold for top dollar, even though I told any prospective bidders who asked me what a POS it was.

OTOH, I have driven magnificently sorted and well done restorations too. If you're bidding, ask the guy driving it up what they think.

Last edited by chazman; 01-12-2019 at 11:15 AM.
chazman is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bjpotter
History / Originality
5
06-08-2015 10:59 AM
bjpotter
History / Originality
18
04-27-2015 10:29 AM
micktroup2
Wheels and Tires
0
10-16-2011 01:00 PM
91camarolover
Wheels and Tires
3
10-17-2010 07:06 PM
super83Z
History / Originality
1
10-05-2008 10:08 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a couple nice irocs at mecum today


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: