History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in reproduction tank insulator foam?
Yes - Top Only
20.00%
Yes - Top + Narrow Lower
20.00%
Yes - Top + Custom Wider Lower
60.00%
No - I'd reuse the old stuff, or get window A/C unit foam from Home Depot.
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reproduction Tank Insulator Foam

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Reproduction Tank Insulator Foam

I'm considering expanding the product line of Drew-It-Yourself Industries to include reproduction fuel tank foam strips. But I'm not sure if there would really be any interest. For the sake of discussion, let's say that I can get approximately an exact duplicate of the original tank insulator foam, complete with peel-stick adhesive backing, rated for outdoor use and exposure it'd be subjected to under the car. There's no great trick to it, the only catch is that the minimum quantity is enough material to do about 10 cars. While I'm sure the average idiot that thinks cutting a hole to change the fuel pump is a great idea, really doesn't care if the foam is there, or if it's the right foam, I'd like to get an idea if the more detailed oriented folks around here would be interested. So if you have a moment, hit the poll, post any thoughts on the subject...

Is there any interest?
What's a fair price?
Is it worth a few bucks for convenience of ordering a kit with the quantity needed, without excess, as opposed to scouring the internet studying up on foam rubber and ordering from more than you need?

I'm sure Classic Industries and some of the other repro houses sell a generic kit, but as I remember they're expensive and 'one size fits all, sorta'.

Right now I can get the exact right size foam for the top of the tank, that goes between the tank and the body. The foam on the bottom straps, is a non-standard size, which means I'd have to order wider foam, and manually trim it, or I can get foam that is exactly the width of the straps instead of the factory foam that is about 1/2" wider than the straps. Obviously if I have to cut down wider foam, it'd be more expensive for the base material, plus I'd have to charge something for labor.

Pics!

New Foam on the left, OEM on the right.

Up close texture of the new stuff.

Lower strap with OEM foam on the right. New narrower foam on the left. To replicate the factory stuff I'd have to manually trim wider foam to spec, which would also leave exposed adhesive backing.

Old and New comparison. Note the stock foam is compressed and aged, brittle... The new foam is a bit thicker, doesn't fall apart when you touch it, etc. Same closed cell foam, that should resist absorbing water and won't deteriorate outdoors.

Fresh foam on the rolls, with a piece of OE foam for size reference.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8
Re: Reproduction Tank Insulator Foam

Interesting. Have you done this for condenser foam?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
Interesting. Have you done this for condenser foam?
Not yet. I haven't gotten that far yet with the Green Bird, and the other cars still have the original stuff. It's certainly a possibility but I haven't looked into it yet.

I'm also considering offering window stop bumpers again. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exte...ndow-stop.html) Last time the first batch flew out the door, the second batch stalled about half way through, and when I reached the point where I had just enough left to finish my cars, I didn't restock them. I just don't want to have a bunch of cash invested and tied up in inventory if there isn't a market.

I've got enough of the tank foam to sell a few sets now, but I'm not sure it's worth cutting to length and packaging unless there's enough demand.

As it is, I have a couple thousand dollars tied up in other items I stock and sell. I usually average about 2-3 sales a day on Ebay, if I'm already at the post office every day at 5pm, I might as well be shipping several packages as one or two.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

How about some idea of the price....$5, $50, $500?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Price is entirely variable, depending on what configuration people would want. If the 1" lower strips are acceptable, it'd save me a lot of labor trimming down thicker strips to exactly match the factory lower strips. The materials cost is a lot higher for the 2" wide foam I'd have to cut down, so the price would be a bit higher if people want upper + lowers cut to proper dimensions. If people want to trim the wider foam themselves, I wouldn't have to charge for the added labor. Generally the foam on the tank straps is easier to reuse, the top gets mangled removing the sending unit and manhandling the tank, so I'm not sure if most people would even want the foam for the tank straps.

Just from looking around, there are Goodmark, OER, and other branded reproductions for just the upper anti-squeek pads. The majority of the reviews are bad, and they run around $25 on average, from what I'm seeing. While I haven't looked into postage options (shipping costs) I'm pretty sure I can put together an entire upper/lower kit, and match the $25 + postage that they're getting for 'universal' kits that only address the top of the tank. And my offering would be closer to original equipment on a thirdgen
Old 04-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Drew,

No experience with these tanks (yet). So let me ask a few questions if I could.

The factory foam for the tank straps...is it the exact same width as the strap? So if you sold the wider product, could it be stuck down to the strap, and a razor used to trim it to the width of the strap?

The factory foam for the top of the tank...if you went with a narrower product...the impact would be? That it's not original appearing, but no one could see it? Would I lose sleep just knowing it was there?

OK, only I can answer the last one. But if you could help with the others, I'd appreciate it.

Generically, and prior to having your answers, on price, $25 for a kit that is the known correct material in the correct width, peal and stick and I don't have to screw with it...there's value in it for me at that price. As long as shipping isn't crazy, I'd say that's a go!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I would be interested, I suppose for the straps since you need it for almost all the tanks (I Have a 4th gen plastic tank and will put another in my other car) I would be able to just cut the 2" stuff on my own for the straps. I am not worried about originality, just functionality.

I was going to get this, just a reference for price point? http://fbodystore.com/gas-tank-strap-anti-squeek-kit/
Old 04-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scooter
I would be interested, I suppose for the straps since you need it for almost all the tanks (I Have a 4th gen plastic tank and will put another in my other car) I would be able to just cut the 2" stuff on my own for the straps. I am not worried about originality, just functionality.

I was going to get this, just a reference for price point? http://fbodystore.com/gas-tank-strap-anti-squeek-kit/
Would be nice if they gave an indication of the length. Is that enough to do both the top and bottom?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
The factory foam for the tank straps...is it the exact same width as the strap? So if you sold the wider product, could it be stuck down to the strap, and a razor used to trim it to the width of the strap?
I'm working with a 91 and a pile of parts from another 91, so it's possible the earlier cars could be different, but... The top foam is 2" wide, which spans the depression in the tank. The foam sits between the tank and the body rails, so it makes sense for them to be as wide as they are.

The straps around the bottom of the tank are about 1" wide, and the stock tank strap foam is about 1.25" or 1.5". I can get 1" foam, the exact width of the straps, in fact I have a roll now. To have replacements that are exact I'd have to buy wider foam, which is more expensive and take the time to cut it down, or leave it to the customer to trim it or leave it full width.

Not the best pic, but shows how the stock foam on the bottom strap is wider than the strap. I'm not even sure if it bugs me, and I tend to be picky. Having the foam wider than the strap can't really be beneficial, it's just excess along for the ride.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by Drew
Would be nice if they gave an indication of the length. Is that enough to do both the top and bottom?
My guess is that it is only for the straps, as they sell stainless replacement tank straps. I guess 2 would be needed for each car from them, one for the straps and one for the top, maybe even 3, depending on the width for the top of the tank.

Put me down for enough for a pair of straps at least, maybe an extra strip at 2" wide for my 4th gen tank so I can do the corners and the top of the spacer tower, would need to just stack the foam on the top a few layers. I think the 4th gen uses silicone foam for the top.
Either way, not concerned about being exact
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Great photos and explanation Drew. Thanks.

I assume you will post in the Parts For Sale section here on TGO if/when you have kits ready?
Old 04-16-2019, 03:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
I assume you will post in the Parts For Sale section here on TGO if/when you have kits ready?
That's the plan. I just need to find the time to figure out my costs, postage, and a meager profit. Things are just a bit busy right now being Spring. Knocking out yardwork and a few projects, to free up my schedule for the stuff I want to do without being interrupted. Getting back to projects I left hanging before jumping back into the big project.

Today was spent working on the Iroc. Got the doors all back together finally. Took it apart last year to change the dew wipes and look at the loose cloth on the door panels, and sticky locks. Ended up restoring the door panels, replacing the window stops, changed the dew wipes, replaced the driver's door latch, cleaned and lubed all the power window tracks and power lock linkages, tightened up ALL the rattles, refinished the door handles & lock cylinder bezels, cut a replacement moisture barrier for the driver's door, shot 3M NVH adhesive between the door skins and impact bars, added the rubber strips to the bottom of the door panels... The up side is that now the doors open and close with two fingers, and don't rattle at all, the door panels look good, everything works better... Down side is I need to adjust the t-tops because the previous owner tried to fix the car wash drip, by cranking the mounts down until the tops crushed the weatherstrips. Oh well, one thing at a time.

So yeah, things will slow down again when it starts raining, and/or temps hit 90+ degrees...