TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

305 tbi camaro wont start.help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro&66 mustang
Engine: 305 camaro/351w mustang
Transmission: auto box camaro/5spd tremec mustang
305 tbi camaro wont start.help!!!!

Hi everybody,newby here from rainy old england. can anybody help me with a problem i have.started with an overheating prob.my fan wasnt coming on so checked wires to the fan,no live feed to fan.fan motor ok,went to fuebox to check fuses.doesnt list a fuse for cooling fan!!!.pulled each fuse out in turn to check them,none seem to be blown.now engine wont start.have fuel squirting in throttlebodies and spark at plugs ,cranks over but wont start. any ideas anybody.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 305 tbi camaro wont start.help!!!!

Sounds flooded, try holding the gas down while cranking.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 AM

thanks ex-x-fire,i try that today if it ever stops raining,because i pulled all the fuses i thought maybe i disconnected something like the ecu,and you had to reboot it.read a lot of threads about vats probs,did all camaros come with vats or was it an option.i dont have a chip in my key.but it aint an original key.i either never had it in the first place or somebody has already disconnected it,why hasnt the fan got a fuse?.thought it would have as it draws quite a high current.thanks ex-x-fire will let you know in a couple of days .
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The fan power feed is fused via a fusible link. Likely off the starter solenoid. The power feed to the fan relay coil has a fuse in the fuse block. Not sure which one.

To check if the fan and the relay are OK, key-on, engine-off, then the wire/connector that goes to the head temperature switch (between 6 & 8), ground it to the engine block.

If all is good the relay will activate and the fan will come on.

RBob.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Hi RBob, i tried shorting the wire between 6&8 and nothing happened.i put a new switch in a while ago,broke the other putting sum headers on.maybe that switch was faulty.i tested the plug on the fan motorwith test light, no live feed,bought an aftermarket fan switch, adjustable thermostat type.gonna rewire fan through that with a relay if i cant sort it.thats the least of my probs,i pulled all the fuses 1 by 1 to check them,in the manual it doesnt show a fuse for the fan.only found about the relay and where it was by reading somebody elses thread.since i pulled all the fuses and replaced them car wont start.got juice squirting in throttle bodies &spark at plugs,ex-x-fire said maybe flooded,gonna try that tommorow and replace all the fuses,found sum fuses in garage and although they look ok they were blown,checked them all with tester so i know there all good,i could have put a blown 1 back in.!!read about fusible links in manual,they sound a right pain to change especially if its by starter.sorry to yap on!!!.let ya know how i get on and thanks for your input
Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM

Slow down a bit, when you jumped the head temperature switch wire (DK-GRN/WHT) to ground, you should have at least heard the relay click. If not, then it may be a relay or relay fuse issue.

Or, the wires/connectors between the head temperature switch and knock sensor are swapped...

Also, you won't find power at the fan unless the relay is active. The fan always has the ground connection, the +voltage to the fan is switched on via the relay.

RBob.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 AM

Ex-x-fire, you were spot on. throttle down,cranked it and fired straight up,Back fired a bit but settled down when i put the air filter back on and connected vac hose.thankyou.!!!!. Rbob, havent got to checking relay yet ,it raining again.havent got a nice big garage like most of you lot.wish i had,i never be out of it.i look later today if it stops raining.appreciate your help, all of you.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Hi Rbob, extended wirefrom switch on block and earthed to agood earth,relay clicking and fan came on.the new switch must be duff.cheap taiwan ****,bought here but boxed from an american company called ( standard ).had this camaro for just over a year and have had 2 sets of door locks.both sets were from standard.am i just having a run of bad luck or are all the product from this company cheap and nasty *****.thanks Rbob, hope i may be able to help you out 1 day.cheers mate!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:30 PM

It all comes out of China or Mexico now. Neither of which care about quality.

Note that the fan temperature switch closes at something like 228* F (109* C). And the dash gauge using a different sensor isn't always accurate.

RBob.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 AM

Hi Rbob, That seems realy high.Iread these cars run on the hot side,over here if the gauge goes over the halfway mark its time to start worrying.the prob with the cheap parts is the chinies and alike are willing to work for peanuts.the bosses of these big companies take full advantage of this.i read loads of threads on here about what is & what isnt the right temp for thermostats.took mine out the other day to look at it.mine doesnt have the small pressure release hole.most stats ive seen do.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 AM

Look at the bottom center of the thermostat, should have 195 stamped on it. That is in degrees F. The small bleed hole isn't present on the stock thermostat.

RBob.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 5.0 tbi

hello i have a 91 camaro rs and i just cant find whats making it not start i have put a new ignition coil in new distributor in new plugs and wires and set the timing where its ment to be but still no start. it seems like it is trying to start but just wont get there and im at a loss on what to do can someone please help me.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by smilekill
hello i have a 91 camaro rs and i just cant find whats making it not start i have put a new ignition coil in new distributor in new plugs and wires and set the timing where its ment to be but still no start. it seems like it is trying to start but just wont get there and im at a loss on what to do can someone please help me.
You need:

Spark across the plug gap at the right time
A burnable fuel mixture
Compression
Reasonably free-flowing exhaust

Which of those don't you have? When you figure that out, and fix it, you'll have a running engine.

First Guess: Plugs fouled, no spark.

Second Guess: Failed pickup coil, no spark, no fuel injector trigger.