Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

cam question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Z/28 Camaro
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.73 spool
cam question

i have most every thing for my 350 but the cam, want to get a xe274 or a lunati voodoo cam

350 parts, trick flow heads, kenny dutwiler series, dual valve springs claimed to take up to .520 lift, rpm manifold, headers, 5 speed trans, 3.23 gears, 1.5 full roller rockers, edlebrock 600cfm carb, carter mech fuel pump, summit double roller chain, one pice push rods, stock 5.7 rods sealed power pistions flat with 4 valve relief, 64cc cambers 195 cc intake runners

i know the cams arent to far off each other but the duration and lift numers are offset in different ways, do i want more lift or more duration? also as far as i know these cams are streetable, this is my only car and i must drive it every day to work (in texas, hot...)

xe274
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 230 int./236 exh
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.487 int./0.490 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam and lifter kits are built to take advantage of the latest cam technology, to provide maximum performance. Whether your use is off-roading, towing, or street performance, there is an Xtreme Energy cam and lifter kit available for you. By using an aggressive lobe profile, these cam kits provide better throttle response and more top-end horsepower than equivalent kits from other manufacturers, while delivering increased engine vacuum.

lunati voodoo
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 227 int./233 exh.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.489 int./0.504 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Unnatural horsepower gains from Lunati Voodoo.
Unless you're a witch doctor, choosing the correct cam can be nightmare. These Voodoo cams from Lunati are the answer! The gurus at Lunati have taken cam design to another dimension with profiles never before utilized in cams. Only the world's best profiles are included in this line, making cam selection an easy choice. Voodoo incorporates 30 years of cam design experience with more recent developments in profiles, geometry, and tolerances to deliver the most aggressive ramp profiles ever used in hydraulic flat tappet cams. Asymmetrical lobe designs with slower closing sides set the valve down easy, to reduce noise and premature failure of the valvetrain. These cams deliver more "area under the curve", meaning more throttle response, quicker acceleration, more vacuum, and better efficiency, combined with maximum horsepower and torque.

got any suggestions? comments? critisim?

later, doug.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:00 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Considering the gearing you have out back, I would opt for the Lunati. It'll make more low end torque to help overcome less than ideal gearing.

If you were geared 3.42-4.11 I'd recommend the Comp since it has a little bigger duration and will put the power band out there a little further(higher rpms) which would be ideal with larger numerical gearing out back.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:52 PM

so basicly the comp cam has a little more duration meaning itll rev a little bit higher than the lunati?
i do plan on new gear, either 3.73 or 3.42 and much later ill try a t56. from what you said i think ill try the lunati because i wont do the rear for a while and i dont want to spin the motor too high in the rpm any way (like 6k max)

are the durations different enough to make any noticable difference, in drivability or in, as lunati put it, "power under the curve" or am i wasting my time and should get the cheaper one cause i wont be able to tell a difference?

side question, is the voodoo line of cams a new thing or what cause guys i asked thought lunati only made single pattern cams, from products ive seen lunati makes top notch stuff, is this true?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:05 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
The higher the number when dealing with duration the higher the power band will be. Many guys I know have run Lunati, including myself with great results so dont be afraid to run their product. The Voodoo series must be a newer grind since it was not available 4 years ago when I built my first motor, I installed their brtacket master II series hyd flat tappet and was very pleased with the results.

Yes it will make a noticable difference when driving with the higher duration, unless you have the gears and the stall speed to compliment it, the car will be kind of lazy off the line until it reaches it's optimum rpm range-basically it'll take longer to get where it really feels strong.

I have nothing agaisnt Comp other than their high priced for the limited power they put out when compared to a certain other grinder, but MANY guys run comp stuff with no problems. I just think based off what you said and seeing the cam numbers the Lunati will give the the best potential.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:03 PM

ok cool, thanks for the help. to be honest i was only considering the comp cam because of their big name and ever one recomends cams by the comp cam numbers, so i looked for a similar sized cams. lunati looked cool to mecant wait to test it out.
-doug
Old 04-27-2005, 03:21 PM

i just installed the cam last night, i hope its good!

wanted to ask if i need to degree the cam shaft, i installed the crank gear to 0*, because i think the cam is built 4* advanced, the card says if the 106* centerline is used then it with be 4* advanced so...

whats all up with degreeing the camshaft, is it just chacking to see if the lift is as advertised and not bigger or wrong?
Old 04-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: t-5
Did u get it going yet? I wanna check it out. Are you going to bring it up to the coit & 190 this comming week?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:32 PM

im gonna put the heads on this weekend, the motor has a little way to go cause i am sloooow, but ill be at the next coit &190 show, im gonna throw on these tacky drag slicks i have for kicks, im gonna go to the pates swap meet tomorrow on sunday maybe ill find some cool ****. i just gasketmatched my rpm manifold so mostly just bolting stuff on is what i have to get the motor together... like i said im just slow.

btw i was wanting to ask if you guys thought my combo is gonna be good for 350hp to the ground, i feel preety confident that ill get a torque curve above 300 off idle to 5500rpm at least. i know this motor will make me giggle like a little girl but what kind of power number should i look for. is my carb big enough? (600cfm edlebrock)

hey f bird are those new dart heads aluminum? they look real shiny in the pic on your site...

Last edited by blackgold84; 04-30-2005 at 06:35 PM.