Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Who has rebuilt a 700r4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Who has rebuilt a 700r4?

Im looking at getting a kit from Dana at Pro Built Automatics.

Im wanting to know who here has rebuilt a 700r4. I am about 80% confident that I could do it. I would just like to hear alittle bit of input from those that have done it before.

Not only am I looking to save a few hundred dollars doing it myself, but I would like to learn how to do it. And there is no better way to learn something then to do it.

Opinions? Is this something that I should attempt?

Brad
Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Re: Who has rebuilt a 700r4?

whats ur mechanic experance? how much do u kno about cars/trans etc? what kind of tools u have?

i just did my trans and my dads about 5months ago... with dana's kits... i got the prostreet upgrade for mine and a full heavy duty rebuild for my dads. its not that difficult... some parts will be very annoying but make sure u have 2 trans manuals... dana will tell u, one is a ASGT or something and get a haynes manual as well for the 700r4... they both have things that the other one wont have.

compressing the transgo stiffer springs will be very hard as well has the hardened HD Sleeve... but i had a shop press and i had to make a tool for it. things like this will make it hard. just follow everything he says to a T and follow the manuals closely. u need a PERFECTLY clean enviorment to build one too... no dirt or metal can get in the trans. and ur gona need to soak all the clutches/steels/gaskets/orings in trans fluid, the clutches especially for like 15min before putting them in. get the right fluid, right tools, and take lots of pics etc and ull be fine hopefully.

i never did one but i had mine done in a day, had my dads done in half the time.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

well my dad has been working on cars his whole life. Ive been doing things for about 10 years. (nothing professionally) I have a degree in Machine Technology and Mechanical Engineering. I can rebuild a sbc blindfolded. Me and dad build my s10 basically from ground up.

As far as auto transmissions, I have a basic understanding of how they work. I have installed 3 or 4 shift kits in various ones. I even started to rebuild the turbo 350 that is in my s10. My dad and I dissassembled it, but we didnt put it back together.

A guy dad grew up with rebuilds transmissions. He has built 3 for me. S10's turbo 350, 4l60e in my wife's 98 camaro, and a 4l60e that was in a trans am I used to own. He lives close to home and Im sure I could get him to help me some if I get to a point of being stuck. He rebuilds in his home garage.
The only reasons I dont really want to go back to him is that at times he can take longer then I want and I feel that I can do it myself. Plus I would like to learn how to do it.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

u should be fine. just make sure u have the manuals, and a good set of tools and "picks" or seal removers... like straight and curved ICE PICKS lol... dnt really kno how to explain it anymore than that. u will need a tq wrench and u will need feeler gauges. and the worst part is gona be getting the clutches to alighn and pop completely together, since u cant see them and its all by touch and feel. the front pump is also gona be a pain!!! getting it out and aligning it if u dont have a pump alignment tool... i would def get one. if not u will have to do it the ghetto way (the way i do it) and reverse the pump and install it back in the trans and tighten the bolts to the recomended tq. then some how get it back out.

u should be fine. just take ur time, take lots of pics and keep everytthing together, and follow instructions completely. talk to dana he will help u out with anything u need
Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll need a tool for the lip seals, i made mine out of piano wire and small copper tubing, otherwise you'll rip/bend the seals(a feeler gauge will just cut the seals) and your pistons will leak. Vasoline also works best as assembly lube for the seals.
when you get to the low-reverse clutch(679) you'll need a tool to remove it, i used wire like hanger wire,bend the wire(U shape), bend the tips 1/4 of an inch inward, and slip the ends between the case then underneath clutch plate and pull it out, careful not to lose the retainer spring(680).
everything is pretty straight forward, you cant really get the parts mixed up all the steels and friction discs have different teeth.

cleanliness, is next to godliness - Dirt is your worst enemy!
Attached Thumbnails Who has rebuilt a 700r4?-700r4.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird, 2000 GTP
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" posi, 4.11

"Desire is the key to human performance" I think I read that in HotRod magazine or something, but you care capable of anything you truely want to accomplish. People think they can't do something because they are to weak to try.
Be sure to pick up a set of snap-ring pliers with the flats on the end...worth more that the $20 they cost. Aside from that, I used a drillpress and random pieces of scrap metal to compress the spring packs. The piston at the tail of the trans took the most time/grief to remove. Keep everything in order, rebuild one section at a time, and label everything. I was able to tear mine down and put it back together 6 months later without pics(garage was a bit cold to work with only rubber gloves).

I'm currently rebuilding a 4T65E-HD trans in my basement as we speak.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

No special tool is needed for the sealing rings that I use here. The input rings are a "step cut" style of a solid ring, and the reverse input are scarf cut.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird, 2000 GTP
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" posi, 4.11

No special tool is needed for the sealing rings that I use here. The input rings are a "step cut" style of a solid ring, and the reverse input are scarf cut.
What about the nylon seals? Should be able to just clip the old nylon seals and pull them, off. Then make some sort of sheath and slide the new ones down onto the shaft and into their respective grooves? I was unsure if I could get the new ones on so I left the old ones on when I did my 700R4.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member

thanks guys for the responses.

I talked to my dad's friend the other day. He acted like he would rebuild it for me. I think Im going to try to see if he would let me watch/help out. That way I get some experienced help before I try to tackle one on my own. Plus he usually only charges me $150 for labor.

Dana, as soon as I know the year of my trans, I'll give you a call.