Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Trans Fluid where it should not be...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 auto
Axle/Gears: unsure
Trans Fluid where it should not be...

89 IROC, 5.7 TPI, stock
Okay guys/gals, I'm having a totally new problem for me. After replacing much of the dry rotted EVAP lines, i noticed my car was burning what i assumed to be oil at that time. On closer inspection I realized there was red fluid entering the TPI then burning in the cylinders... nasty smell.
I never took time to school myself on any transmission therefore this issue stumps me. I've talked to all my gearhead buddies and they've never heard of it.
Its sucking in through the vac line that is supposed to run to the tranny. Sips down about 1/2qt in 30 minutes of idle.
So i bring it to the forums...
What in the 700R4 could go bad to where it would allow trans fluid to suck through its specific vac line into the intake -or-
Do i simply have s vac lind wrong?
As always, any help greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Trans Fluid where it should not be...

Originally Posted by MiROC_89
89 IROC, 5.7 TPI, stock....Its sucking in through the vac line that is supposed to run to the tranny......
There is no vacuum line that is supposed to be connected to a 700R4 . Earlier transmissions like the "Turbo 350" and "Turbo 400" had a vacuum modulator that could go bad and cause transmission fluid to be burned through the engine , but like I said this doesn't exist on your transmission (if you do in fact have the original 700R4 in there) .
Old 06-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

His signature also says 5spd auto. So WTF is in there for a transmission?
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Hey guys, sorry for some typos. It has the auto trans in it, thought it was the 700R4, but could be referring to it incorrectly. apologies...

I just assumed it was the original trans in it, never considered that it may not be.
Where or what should i look for when checking if its that trans or not?
I appreciate the help guys. Ill try to fix my profile, or is it the posting itself?
thanks again
Old 06-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 408 Likes on 295 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Hey guys, sorry for some typos. It has the auto trans in it, thought it was the 700R4, but could be referring to it incorrectly. apologies...

I just assumed it was the original trans in it, never considered that it may not be.
Where or what should i look for when checking if its that trans or not?
I appreciate the help guys. Ill try to fix my profile, or is it the posting itself?
thanks again
Get under the car and take a couple of pics of the transmission pan. Then compare them to those listed here: https://www.google.com/search?q=pan+...=1560086093785
Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

What he said ^^ Let's see what's actually in your car. There are no vacuum lines to a 700R4.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:57 PM

Got a couple of pics, just waiting for rain to stop to get some better ones. from what i can see, rectangular pan has me thinking the 700r4. Isn't there acdifference in the linkage too, like the 700R4 will be mechanical an others are electronic?
Hopefully these pics post.

The line that the fluid is coming in to the intake is a line that runs up from the lower backside eng/trans area close to firewall, runs up close to the back corner of the TPI plenum where the 2 evap nipples are. Soon as rain stops ill get s pic of which one, n send it also.

Unrelated question...
Idont know if it shows in these pics but the trans cooler lines look to be replaced with regular brake line that is cut then spliced back together,. For what I assumed to be easy access to get the starter out possibly???
The problem is that use comp fittings an farrell's rather than flaring at the cuts... it just leaks like a sieve at the 2 splices; and leaks from where the lines go into the trans. as if they are not quite the proper size or fitting to get a good leak free seal.
I've only ever seen continuous lines from the trans to the cooler, nothing ever spliced unless in emergencies for a quick fix, never really used comp fittings without glaring them either yor something like this.
Wondering what your guys take was on this, if you think a bonafide transmission shop would do this kind of repair work. Seems shadetree to me, but ive made those quick fix repairs before to my own cars to get me home. Never a customers though.
This shop is where the lines were replaced and the transmission was serviced/rebuilt. In all the service an mechanic jobs ive had, when replacing these cooler lines id use only an OEM replacement, 2 continuous unbroken lines from trans to cooler n back. I could bd wrong though. I am a lot if you ask my wife..
Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

......The line that the fluid is coming in to the intake is a line that runs up from the lower backside eng/trans area close to firewall, runs up close to the back corner of the TPI plenum where the 2 evap nipples are.......
Yes , that is a 700R4 .

Now , if I read your above sentence correctly , and your 101% sure it IS transmission fluid being burned , my best guess would be that some really uninformed past owner plumbed the transmission's case vent into the vacuum system , thinking perhaps the little plastic tube that exits the top of the case had something to do with the shifting (It of course doesn't , it's a vent only) .
Old 06-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Found the serisl# for the transmission. on the drivers side, it has these numbers stamped into the casing...

A vent tube makes sense. I say that because the rubber tube is older an worn down closer to the trans, then its extended with fairly new looking tubing (meaning it was in pretty good shape to where i did not replace it), this newer line extends that trans vent up to where it can tee into the plenum for vacuum.
I unhooked it, let it smoke off the fluid in the cylinders, it stopped smoking, idles, drives, an shifts fine.
I can go about 87% on it being trans fluid, going by the appearance and smell unburnt, but out the exhaust... IMO, there are very few things that smell like burnt trans fluid lol.
After i found which lind i believed it was, i spliced in a piece of clear tubing an sure enough it was drinking the new red fluid i just filled her up with. Just put 4qts or so to it after unhooking the suspect looking replacement the unnamed trans shop threw on there.
I'm not sure I'd ever use this trans service center, forgot the name, but I'm going to get their info from my dude who purchased it from the shop, then to me... Get in contact with them to see what the facts are about this car. They are the last ones to service i
trans and work on engine. Believe they would've been the ones to route that vent into the vac lines.
Scares me a trans shop may do something like that, but at least i wasn't driving on it like that.
Thanks everyone for thf help so far. ill get that pic of the line up.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes there is a vent line near the front of the trans (if i'm remembering correctly when i did mine). i remember it clearly being a vent tube because when i put in a trans i bought with a shift kit, it started puking through it
Old 06-12-2019, 10:36 PM

I haven't been able to get back underneath it yet bc of the rain but i think that is what has happened. i will besure to update tomorrow when i can get underneath it. thanks for the info sofarf