V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

few problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1969 Camaro , 91 Camaro RS
few problems...

ok lets start here i guess... cars been really funny last week or so , major power loss and very bad mileage over normal. when your easing off the throttle right as you get completely off the throttle the car will surge alittle. at around 75mph if you get on the gas hard itll stutter around 80mph / 4,000rpm and go nowhere just bounces up and down around 4,000 - 3, 800. let off the gas alittle and itll shift then pick up over 80 fine. Cant do it at full throttle tho. Then on the way to work last night engine light came on for about 2 minutes and went back off. got to work and checked the ecu , code 44. o2 reading lean. Also the surging if you can get going pretty slow and barely apply pressure to the pedal itll do it steadly like the cars trying to die. Never died tho and seems to go pretty well. Just curious what some of you think.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

OH THAT'S EASY
DRIVE THE 1969 CAMARO MORE & THAT PROBLEM WILL BE FAR REMOVED!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
for the surging id say

check the tps with an analog multimeter
then check your spark plug wires withthe same meter
while you take the wires off you may as well put in some fresh gapped spark plugs.

thats cheap and easy first

lean condition.. however...
check your fuel pressure after you put in a fesh fuel filter
Old 04-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L of Raw POWER!!!
Transmission: Stick Shift
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
Originally posted by 85berlinetta2.8
for the surging id say

check the tps with an analog multimeter
NEVER use an analog meter unless the factory service manual tells you to. Unless the factory says it's ok, don't do it.

The reason being is that the sensors get their voltage source from the computer and if you put an analog meter on them, the internal resistance of the meter is so low that it will pull too much current through the computer and you CAN damage the ECM.

Always use a digital meter, whether it's a number readout style like most of us have, or a graphing meter like a snap-on vantage or Fluke graphing meter.

Just a litle warning before you accidently damage something.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:26 PM

Car: 1969 Camaro , 91 Camaro RS
FIXED!

ok first idea was either fuel pump or plugs so started from there. fuel pump was working fine but plugs had extreme gap and were badly carboned. So told me it was running rich as hell. Checked 02 and found it was dead. replaced the 02 along with new plugs. Wires are perfect so left them alone. their only about 5 months old. Just for good measures cleaned out the injector system just to be safe. no codes and running fine for now lol. As far as driving my 1969 camaro more. gas prices kinda keep a old carberated car with 640+hp off the road unless its a short trip. Also work alittle over a hour away and my fuel cell isnt that big lol. So ill have to keep my little slowpoke v6 rs running. Atleast untill i decide to buy a moped lol.... thanks for the help everyone
Old 04-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by 2_point8_boy
NEVER use an analog meter unless the factory service manual tells you to. Unless the factory says it's ok, don't do it.

The reason being is that the sensors get their voltage source from the computer and if you put an analog meter on them, the internal resistance of the meter is so low that it will pull too much current through the computer and you CAN damage the ECM.

Always use a digital meter, whether it's a number readout style like most of us have, or a graphing meter like a snap-on vantage or Fluke graphing meter.

Just a litle warning before you accidently damage something.

to test the tps with an analog multimeter you DONT put the meter on the harness. you test the sensor. thats why i said test the tps not the tps harness. you cant use a digital meter to test the tps because its readout takes an average and is too slow to show up on the screen. what youre looking for is the needle to jump. any jerkyness
Old 04-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

I agree wiht ya about the rides with big HP Numbers & special fuel.
I kinda do same logic for my old Corvette.
Wife wants me to stop taking a car from her, but with the great milage & working AC of these V6, gas economy habit is hard to break no matter how fun the ride.
Great going on the fix.
I hope ya got the right plugs, too. Many times a 2.8 plug is not always the right application. I discovered 2.8 plugs in my 3.4 (twice!) and that causes poor performance.