Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

check out this paintjob deal

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out this paintjob deal

ok so its finally the big day when i have enough money to paint my iroc

the local paintshop told me they would sand it, mask it, primer it, and spray it plus do some minor body work to my nose for about $350-400. thats for an enamel finish with a clearcoat. is that a good deal? i wanted to go base coat/ clear coat but they said that would be 1000$+ what do you guys think?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:47 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: T5
sounds like a maaco-type deal...
Old 05-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28/1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 tpi/350tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Yup becareful don't get burned!
Old 05-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
see if you can take a look at some of the cars they've painted before.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Rally Sport
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
On any at least halfway decent paintjob you are gonna be looking at ~$300 in just paint. I wouldn't go for it. Enamle is almost never accompanied by a clear coat because enamle is tougher than clear coat. As far as painting cars goes you are gonna run into 4 basic types of paint...

Enamel: Very strong paint, but not so glossy, air cured, old school.

Lacquer: Very brittle, very glossy, air cured, cracks and fades after only a year or two on daily drivers, also old school. Really only suitable for show cars that are garage kept. (Also note: used by places like Macco in their "specials")

Basecoat/Clearcoat: More flexible and durable than lacquer, higher gloss than enamle, new school. As far as I know most base/clear combinations are air cured, but I remember hearing somewhere that there are some that need to be heat cured where they "bake" your car.

Polymers and Urethanes: Many different kinds, more durable than enamel, more glossy than base/clear, cured by hardener agent, new school.

I'm no paint expert (feel free to correct any above info guys) but this deal sounds too good to be true. I'd check with some of their previous customers first.

Later,
Harry

Last edited by 1MEAN92RS; 05-16-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
You get what you pay for. Thats all I gotta say.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:36 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
2 stage urethane paints shine like lacquer and hold up better than enamel. My father refuses to paint in anything else, because he doesn't like it when his customers come back bitching in 6 months. I've found that the 2 stage urethanes maintain their shine and are very fade resistant, much more than the old single stage paints, but I haven't used a single stage urethane, so I can't compare it to that.

There's an old POS van around town that my father painted back in 1995. It hasn't seen soap and a sponge since then, nevermind wax. it still shines and hasn't oxidized yet. Oh yeah, it also hasn't seen a garage since before 1995 either.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:22 AM

Car: 84 TransAM
Engine: Chevy 355
Transmission: TH350
i am actually getting mine done at a place that offers about the same prices... before i even talked to them about getting my car painted i hung out at their place for a couple of hours for a few days, you can see their garage from the main office, it looks like do nice work, and my neighbor got his car done there 11 months ago and still looks good... just make sure you do most if not all of the body work, do a lot of sanding, when they say "sanding" all they are gonna do is have some guy run by the side of your car with a sander a couple of times, if possible, try using some kind of sandable primer on parts that you are not so sure about.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Banned

oh the sanding is what comes with the deal. i already have done all my bodywork and treated/filler primered/final primered the whole car. the only place i want them to do body work on is on my nose at the corner by the headlights there is a place where the plastic is actually dented. i wanted them to fill that in and take care of it for me. otherwise, the car is bondo-free. i replaced all sheetmetal, and took all rust spots down to bare metal before i treated them. i even wet sanded it.

normally id be a little skeptical too, but my buddy got his 85 z28 painted there and it looks badass. really nice glossy finish. he says it holds up great. his was only 500$ even and they sanded/primered it. they cut me a deal at $339 because i had done everything else. so still sound ok?
Old 05-16-2003, 09:24 PM

Car: 75 & 82 Z-28
Engine: 350
Transmission: Saginaw 4 speed
Im no paint expert here, but a few of my buddies have gone to local shops where you get "good deals".

First, my friends 83 berlinetta was run through a fence and paint job entirely messed up. His dad spent days and weeks prepping this thing for paint, he did a real great job in prep work (IE endless hours of sanding, then primered it himself). Took it to maaco and 200$ later, he ended up with a decent looking paint, wasnt too bad. Over the first year, quite a few chips, paint looks "okay". Two years pass, the entire nose is chipped, many spots on the car are chipped and the paint is below "okay" condition only after a couple years in weather thats not too bad (Snows for a few months a year).

Other friend, paid a local shop around 1000$ to fix all his body stuff, prep his car, then paint it black. I dont know if you know what spray paint looks like, but i swear they bought a case of that and went at it. The car plain just looks like ***, and even though he did have quite a bit of body damage, he still got ripped.

I wouldnt do it, if you do all the prep work very well, take it to a experienced shop whom has good recommendations use a good quality paint (PPG).

This paint should cost around 4-500$ with all supplys for prepping, have fun.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
You get what you pay for. Thats all I gotta say.
well then what did you pay for your paint job. i always liked it. it looks expensive.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:34 AM

As long as you don't get your expectaions up too high, and know that in a few years you'll probably need to get it re-done, I don't see anything wrong with this deal. Don't expect something show quality though. I've seen too many people pay 5, 6, and $700 for a paint job only to wonder why it's not like a brand new car. The fact is, for a shop to do anything to a car is expensive, and painting is one of the most expensive things done to a car save a motor swap or the like. If you're expecting a show car paint job for this price, you'll be let down. If you can be honest with yourself and say "I know I'll probably need to get this re-done in a couple years," then you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Custom shops in my area, who do nothing but show cars, start at around $2500 for a job, that includes sanding, bodywork (bondo & leading), etc...
Old 05-17-2003, 09:03 AM

hey finally someone on the boards that can properly speak english. good job.:hail:
Old 05-17-2003, 10:20 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: ProBuilt 700-R4 & Vigilante Torque Converter