DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

88’ Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 V8
Transmission: Automatic
88’ Wont Start

I resently took my 88’ IROC 5.7 to the shop because it wouldn’t idle. It was running rich and white smoke was coming out. I took it to my local pro and they nerowed it down to the MAF (as I suspected). They replaced the relays which where burned out but it still wouldn’t run. Apparently from what I heard it was black smoke. I don’t know much about everything they did in the shop as I wasn’t in the loop with my parents. I do know that we got a special ECM that gets rid of the MAF completely and we put in a MAP. I got it back from them yesterday and it was running the best it ever has. Tho that might be due to the cold weather we had. But today the garage still smelled of gas and the car won’t start. You can hear the starter clicking but it won’t run. I’m thinking a loose connection somewhere. Or it might be the cold because of the coolent bypass I did tho I didn’t think it got that cold here, I mean it is Texas.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: 88’ Wont Start

So the starter just clicks and you have a no crank situation?
or is it cranking but not firing up ?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:59 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 V8
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
So the starter just clicks and you have a no crank situation?
or is it cranking but not firing up ?
it wont turn crank. Also I just got home and the garage has a strong gas smell now that is leaking into the house.

Last edited by Ghostshorts2000; 11-15-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Sponsor

You should start with checking battery voltage. You might have a parasitic draw.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 PM

Let me jump in here to clarify. I'm his dad and the car will turn over fine but won't fire. I think it's flooded.
A little more background info is helpful here.
He's correct, we had our shop convert the car to speed density w/EBL Flash II. Picked the car up yesterday and it ran fine. (now he says it seemed a bit sluggish). He drove it home, washed it, then drove to get gas and back home fine. Parked it in the garage and in the evening we smelled gas. Still strong gas smell this am and car won't start. It'll crank but not start.

Tip from BobR was to hold pedal to floor and start to clear flood mode. And look for any fuel leaks. I'm not home from work yet to try this. But if we can clear the flooded state, I'm wondering what caused it to flood in the 1st place.
We're very new to the wold of tuning and i have not yet even installed TunerPro yet on a laptop. if we can get it to start and run again, that'll be our next step so that we can see what's going on w/it i suppose. Anything specific to look for? I read some threads about adjusting the crank - prime PW tables, but that's beyond our ability at the moment. Maybe we can start w/some VE Learns I suppose.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:52 PM
Sponsor

Before you make changes to the tune. You might want to throw on a fuel pressure gauge and look for a rapid bleed down in fuel pressure. From leaking injectors, or pull the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is raw fuel.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56

What is the car set up? Is it a stock 88 TPI 305 or 350? or is it a V6? or is this a engine swapped (ls1 etc) car?

The smell of gas could simply be the evap system for the tank is stuck open or the charcoal canister has been removed or disconnected. If its in a flooded state you may have a sticking fuel injector letting the residual fuel pressure drain off into the engine, but unless it got into a self siphoning state I doubt it would be enough fuel to flood it-- Actually I've only ever seen one flooded TPI car and as you suggested I got it to crank by cranking it over with the pedal on the mat and when it started to fire I feathered it until it cranked then it was fine from then on out.

The white/black smoke though could point to a deeper engine problem but its hard to tell.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:09 PM

It's a stock 5.7 TPI

One thing to note is prior to getting it to the shop for the SD conversion, on our last attempt to get a working MAF in the car, we bought and installed a reman AC Delco and the car fired right up but immediately starting running SUPER rich. That's when we threw up our hands and had it towed to the shop. That was about 4-5 weeks ago. Is it possible that when it was running so rich it jacked up an injector?

I don't have a fuel pressure guage to test bleed down. I'm hoping that it's just a fluke issue and/or residual issue from the rich running condition that will clear if we get it started again. (fingers crossed).
Old 11-15-2018, 04:11 PM

I'll also try to pull a couple of plugs to see if they're fouled out.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member

I would run some really good injector cleaner or get a shop to clean them.

If it does it again I would get it running and unplug battery and see if it does it with no battery power. If it does my gut says new injectors... Maybe try some cheapos from eBay. You could also pull them from intake and put water bottles on each injector, turn on fuel pump and see if any leaks out. Don't try to crank it like that.

Plugs may tell you if only certain injector or all...

If it turns out to be a stuck injector then that may have been issue all along not the sensors causing it to run rich.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:03 PM

Starting it with pedal all the way down worked. It turned over for a few revs and then fired right up. Ran quite well.
As for the gas smell, it really may be as simple as over filling it. The smell is strongest right around the gas cap area and there was some residual gas inside the gas cap door and looks like a little bit may have run down the side of the car. Gauge is pegged.

We’ll see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

That's good yes the tank filler neck has a metal to metal slip joint that is notorious for leaking. Especially since it's a pain to get the filler in the right spot when putting the tank in, people end up tweaking it. Mine would leak out if I parked it on an incline with a full tank... Though I fixed that with a tank from a 2000 along with the ls1 swap

If it keeps running rich and flooding out I would suspect the injectors... A new fuel filter and a couple of tanks of gas with a good injector cleaner may help... Or it could be too far gone and just need new ones.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Yeah, it may still be injector related. He let the car sit for about 10 mins and it started again but it wasn’t the healthiest of starts.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

Originally Posted by Wookiee
Starting it with pedal all the way down worked. It turned over for a few revs and then fired right up. Ran quite well.
The engine is definitely flooded after sitting if it will start with the throttle open as it cuts off the injectors when cranking. I had a similar issue years ago. I had a few leaky fuel injectors. I monitored my fuel pressure after turning the car off. Here's a graph I made of the fuel pressure bleed off as I'm a nerd.

This was enough to have to do two VERY long cranks before it would catch and start. Injector cleaner did not work. I had to send all the injectors to https://www.cruzinperformance.com/ to have them disassembled, cleaned, new o rings...etc They did a fantastic job. Another thing to check is your fuel pressure regulator. After you turn off the car, pull the vacuum line off of it and make sure there's not raw fuel in the line.

If you do narrow it down to the injectors. It wouldn't hurt to do a quick ohm test on them to make sure they're all in spec. If any fail, you're better off just junking them and buying a new set.

Last edited by IROCThe5.7L; 11-16-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:55 PM

So here's an update. After dealing w/the flooded starts, we took the car back to the shop that did the EBL Flash II install to check out the injectors etc for us. They kept it for a week and said they had no issues w/the car. In fact, when i called this am, the owner said the car sat for the last 4 days (holiday week) and this am he opened the door, did not even sit in the car and cranked it and it fired up immediately. They didn't touch a thing. They think it's possible that the new ECM needed some time/key cycles to get proper readings. This sounds plausible I suppose. I've read that after a MAF change for example, sometimes you have to start the car a few times, or even unplug the battery long enough to reset the ECM, right? I guess the good news is it seems to be starting fine. We haven't picked the car up from the shop yet though. Maybe they just have the magic touch.
Oh, and for the gas smell, I really think it was a simple case of over filling it because A.) we isolated the smell to be strongest right at or near the filler neck, and B.) after we got it started w/clear flood mode (pedal fully down) he drove it a few days and while we were still having the starting issue, but the gas smell was gone. We found zero leaks. It's possible the filler neck is leaking though. but not bad enough to leave any on the ground.

Last edited by Wookiee; 11-26-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the update. That is good -- though I have found that problems that "fix themselves" come back. My advice is to drive the car, and drive it hard (don't get a ticket or wreck it)... but to push the injectors, fuel pump, etc. Let the ECM learn all its parameters. Its possible that the injectors were stuck and freed up, its possible that it the ecm just had to learn its new world. Heck the ECM could of left the fuel vent open or the fuel cap not fully on.

The filler neck fill the tank and park it so that the driver side is down hill on a steep hill and see if it leaks. It could also be the o-ring on the fuel pump leaking if you over fill it. Either you can live with though with ethanol fuel it will absorb moisture from the air, and well in a wreck any fuel leak could be an issue.
Different ecu's have different methods for learning. I'm a little rusty on the old TPI set up, my car was a TBI before I did the LS1 swap.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:32 AM

Well problem is back. I guess I'll be adding a fuel pressure tester to my tool box. I might be able to rent one from an auto parts store. Got the car back late in the evening so no time to troubleshoot last night. I'll be checking for gas in the oil, and testing the pressure asap.
WRT to the FPR, is that the only way to isolate it as the culprit if there's raw fuel in the vacuum line? And would a faulty FPR allow the car to run fine once started? The car idles great and runs fine once it's started.
I don't suppose there's any way to isolate which injector/s may be faulty if that's the case? I may just verify w/the gauge and order new ones.

If we plan to slightly mod this car, would it be worth going w/higher rate injectors now even tho the engine is stock at this point? IOW, will stock injectors be wasted money down the road?

Oh, and IROCThe5.7L, in your graph above, that was from the leaking injectors, right? What would a good reading look like? should it hold 42'ish PSI for hours?

Last edited by Wookiee; 11-27-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

The fuel pressure dropping after you shut down can be pump, regulator, or injectors, as well as leaks, but based on the other evidence it all points to the injectors if it drops.

Check with your tuner and see if they can compensate for the larger injectors with the stock engine. I would say its ok to go a little bigger (rich is always better than lean) but I don't know how much the ECU can correct for. Though also you don't want to go modding with an unknown problem.

More than likely the cylinder(s) that has the bad injector is running rich all the time, pull the spark plugs and look for ones that show signs of rich running. You can also pull the injectors and fuel rail place 8 coke bottles on top of the engine with the injectors in the bottles hooked up to the fuel rail turn on the ignition key (a few times to cycle the pump or jump the relay to turn on the fuel pump) and see if any of them leak out. I don't recall does the v8 TPI have the additional cold start injector, but this one squirts fuel when you crank without the ECU commands.

The injectors exchange with a lot of cars so you could go junkyard searching and some really cheap ones can be had on ebay.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:14 PM

Further follow up.
FPR Vacuum line is dry
Pressure gage reads 42’ish at idle with vacuum line removed.
Pressure then drops about 1psi per minute with car off. Then slows down after about 20 mins. Fairly similar to the chart above, maybe a tad slower leak down.
Injectors??
Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

My gut says injectors. If the leak down was at the pump it would take a few seconds to crank to get fuel to the injectors and pressure up but it would simply crank. The vacuum lines are clean so if the intake is getting flooded when it sits I personally would replace the injectors, fuel filter. But if replacing them and it still having an issue stresses you I would find someone who can bench test and clean them.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Could always set up a test rig, just make sure you secure the injectors so the don't pop off when you pressurize the rail.

https://youtu.be/Q5NNtgKmDkk
Old 12-03-2018, 02:27 PM

Injectors are on order. 24# Bosch D3's from SouthBay (sku:1038).
Old 12-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds good do the fuel filter also just to be safe and protect the new injectors. Just be warned they like to self siphon and drench you in gas. If you can pull the fuel pump relay with the car running to suck most of the fuel out of the lines and jack the front of the car up vs the rear it should lower the risk. (filter is driver rear under the car basically under the back seat bucket)

Let us know how it works out-- reading up the TPI injectors are known for issues.

I've noticed I'm not maintaining pressure in my LS1 swapped car after I shut down. I'm 99% sure the issue is the pump or regulator which is also in the tank. I knew I should of replaced that before I put in the tank... at least the 4th gen tank I have in my 89 is easier to take in and out. Its a pretty rapid drop in pressure so I think the pump is back flowing.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Sponsor

Injectors are on order. 24# Bosch D3's from SouthBay (sku:1038).
you should change the injector offsets for the Bosch 3s.
after they are changed do some ve learns on the ebl.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Sponsor

Old 12-07-2018, 04:51 PM

What did I break? This looks like some kind of temp probe.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like the egr valve, not sure if that is a sensors for egr or what.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM

Can I delete that with the EBL Flash ECM?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

It will trip check engine but shouldn't effect operation, so depending on emissions testing where you live.... And resell... I'm not going to advise to delete emissions but I think so, my egr was dead in my 305 for years I just ignored the light. But you should be able to delete it in the ecm.

Get it running then worry about it.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 AM

I ordered one from “Lectric Limited” via carid.com
It says it’s in stock so should only take a few days to find out. I don’t mind going the delete route, but I need to solve one problem at a time (i.e injectors). And ease myself into the tuning aspects once the car’s running solid again.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Sponsor

Can I delete that with the EBL Flash ECM?
it’s not used in the ebl, it was only used in 85-89 tpi maf.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:02 PM

Boom, so I don’t need to replace the sensor?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Sponsor

No don’t replace it. You won’t get a code 32 like tpi maf would get if this was broken.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Well, that ain’t gonna work. These are supposed to be GM injectors but clearly say ford on them.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Sponsor

They will work if you double up the lower o-rings. Southbay fuel injectors use a press on adapter. Are those 24#hr ?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:16 PM

Yes, they’re supposed to be 24lb. They wee recommended by BobR because we have the proper offset data for the ecm for these injectors.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Sponsor

Try double o-ring the lower groove. Otherwise you might get a vacuum leak.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:31 PM

As luck would have it, I believe the felpro gasket kit we got came with the required o-rings.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:00 PM

Doesn’t look like there’s room for two o-rings on the bottom grove.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Sponsor

One on the top grove on the bottom and one in the lower grove on the bottom. I’m not sure if the stock retaining clips will work or if you have to discard them. You might ask fuel injector connection fic. They sell Bosch 3 injectors without press on adapters.
https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/pages/contact-us
Old 12-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

you will not have to worry about the clips, you don't need them. The pressure from the rail will hold them in place without a problem.The double orings will work. Just put them into the intake manifold first. Make sure the second oring is visible on the outside of the intake manifold and you'll be fine.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:09 PM

Boom! Love this site.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member

Let us know how it goes once its together, I always hate when I post answers and you never hear back from the guy... you are thinking well I wanted to know if that solved it LOL. FWIW those injectors should be reliable the factory injectors are known for issues.

Learned something new about the EGR on the TPI car with this thread.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 AM

I will definitely continue to update this thread. One of the gems of this site is that nearly all issues have at some point been encountered and I've learned a ton just be searching on here. I'v been an unregistered "member" for about 2 years now. lol. But agreed, x% of the threads just die w/no closure.
I'm very grateful for the quick and concise response from this board.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Quick update. Not done yet. Adding the extra o-ring helped. But ran into a few snags. Nothing major but enough to make me call it a night before finishing...
A few bolts on the plenum started to cross-thread and had to take it out and clean them up w/a tap. easy peasy. After cursing the name of all 80's era GM engineers while trying to reconnect the electrical to the bottom of the plenum, flashlight in mouth, and all three hands to get it connected, reinstalled plenum to then find out I forgot to route the TV cable under the runners..... so it's gotta come back off again.
On a side note, the passenger side runner, lower front bolt...... SONOFAB*&CH!!! Cold start injector..... SONOFAB*&CH!!!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Sponsor

Since your using the ebl you don’t need the ninth injector. Here is a nice kit to block it off.
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/85-...or-delete-kit/
Old 12-13-2018, 05:34 PM

Got it all buttoned up. Fired right up. No fuel leaks.
Now we need to change the oil 2x to get any fuel out of there. And make the appropriate injector offsets in the ECM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Glad to hear it. Probably would not hurt to do plugs after your tune it's been rich for a while and I bet the spark plugs show that.

Personally I would also do a new oil filter and fuel filter also.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:45 PM

After some struggle to get the adapter cable to allow my laptop to talk to the EBL, I was able to successfully flash in the offsets for these injectors. Now we'll change the oil 2x and spark plugs. It was running a bit rough... just a tad which is likely the somewhat fouled plugs.

As for the cable, maybe this will help others, when i installed the CD from DynamicEFI, my laptop did not automatically install the proper drivers so that the adapter cable showed up under the Ports (COM & LPT) category properly. I had to (with the help of my IT guy at work) go find the proper driver and manually install it. After that I was able to connect on COM 5. I did not even realize the cable itself was a device that required a driver. I just assumed it was some kind of USB cable. I think the reason it didn't automatically install the drivers was because it's a windows 8.1 machine. Anyway, we worked it out. I read in the existing bin, saved a copy of it, edited the tables, saved it, and flashed it into bank 2 (and set that as active bank). Do i get my Tuner badge now?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:56 AM

Oil changed (2x) and filter. Plugs changed (sonofab!7ch) and a fresh tank of 93 octane.
Running silky smooth so far.
I think we’re done.
Thanks for the help guys!