DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Tuning with the EBL

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto
Re: Tuning with the EBL

I have a 91 5.0 TPI (730) auto trans.

What re-pinning will I have to do to run the EBL P4 flash?

If I want to run 9 psi of boost I know I will need a 2 bar MAP sensor, do I need something else or I will be readdy to start tuning.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Alain2
I have a 91 5.0 TPI (730) auto trans.

What re-pinning will I have to do to run the EBL P4 flash?

If I want to run 9 psi of boost I know I will need a 2 bar MAP sensor, do I need something else or I will be readdy to start tuning.
The only re-pinning required is to insert the three terminals/wires into the AB connector for the comm cable. This is shown in the self-install portion of the EBL P4 on our web site. No other changes to the ECM harness wiring is required.

For tuning will need Tuner Pro (free version) and a laptop with a USB port.

Note that if you want a knock detection set up (recommended) will need to do something for a knock filter. There are several ways to do this. Please see the P4 self-install guide on our web site for various methods of installing/using a knock filter.

RBob.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Car: 1988 C1500
Engine: 350
Transmission: Getrag 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I am getting the parts ready to swap from a 165 to the P4 EBL. Since it was brought up,the info for the P4 EBL states to use an knock module from an LT1 or LT4 PCM. From the info I have found the LT4 was designed for the corvette with roller rockers (16214681). It is less sensitive to valve train noise. The issue is the LT4 had 2 knock sensors while the LT1 (16177700) had one sensor. Is this LT4 module ok to use in the P4 or am I looking at the wrong part.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7 350 TBI
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Would the wiring change at all for the shi5 box if i put the stock tbi ecm back in. There was a ebl flash which is fir sale
Old 02-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by davee66
I am getting the parts ready to swap from a 165 to the P4 EBL. Since it was brought up,the info for the P4 EBL states to use an knock module from an LT1 or LT4 PCM. From the info I have found the LT4 was designed for the corvette with roller rockers (16214681). It is less sensitive to valve train noise. The issue is the LT4 had 2 knock sensors while the LT1 (16177700) had one sensor. Is this LT4 module ok to use in the P4 or am I looking at the wrong part.
Both the LT1 and LT4 filter works with the EBL P4 system.

If there is currently a knock sensor and filter for the '7165 that too will work with the EBL P4 Flash ECM. It will be wired as an 'external' filter.

If you haven't contacted us about the swap please do. We can send you the re-pin guide for this. We also carry the extra ECM harness connector that is required.

RBob.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by psmith757
Would the wiring change at all for the shi5 box if i put the stock tbi ecm back in. There was a ebl flash which is fir sale
No difference between the two ECMs as far as the SGI5 wiring.

RBob.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

I have an EBL user since 07 and it is a great product. I am presently planning to go a long drive ~ 1000 mile long trip. Naturally would like to do some tuning along the way, but I am afraid that data log file will be huge. Also, I do not want to fiddle with the lap top while driving! For about 50% of the trip the road is flat and rather boring (I-5 in SJ valley), but climbing the grapevine up to Tejon pass should interesting! Is there a way - to pause and restart data logging with a single key press????
//RF
Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by RFmaster
I have an EBL user since 07 and it is a great product. I am presently planning to go a long drive ~ 1000 mile long trip. Naturally would like to do some tuning along the way, but I am afraid that data log file will be huge. Also, I do not want to fiddle with the lap top while driving! For about 50% of the trip the road is flat and rather boring (I-5 in SJ valley), but climbing the grapevine up to Tejon pass should interesting! Is there a way - to pause and restart data logging with a single key press????
//RF
Yes, the ENTER key will pause data logging. The WUD will keep on running, just logging is paused. Hitting the space bar re-enables logging. The logging status is shown on the display.

Note that newer versions of the WUD require this to be enabled. Go to the Preferences dialog and check the box that states "ENTER to Pause Datalog."

RBob.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

Originally Posted by RBob
Yes, the ENTER key will pause data logging. The WUD will keep on running, just logging is paused. Hitting the space bar re-enables logging. The logging status is shown on the display.

Note that newer versions of the WUD require this to be enabled. Go to the Preferences dialog and check the box that states "ENTER to Pause Datalog."

RBob.

Thanks Bob for pointing out the obvious! I guess I had the Duhhh moment!!

A follow up question - if the VE learn is enabled this process is not effected by the data log pause??

//RF
Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by RFmaster
Thanks Bob for pointing out the obvious! I guess I had the Duhhh moment!!

A follow up question - if the VE learn is enabled this process is not effected by the data log pause??

//RF
VE Learn, knock display, trip data, etc, is not affected. It only stops the data logging.

RBob.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 PM

Car: '92 GMC C1500 RCSB
Engine: TBI + Vortec + EBL 383
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Learn somethin' new every day
When the log is paused, then resumed, does it also resume at the current run time... i.e. paused at 1:20, resumed at 3:40. Does it reflect this in the log?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doober
Learn somethin' new every day
When the log is paused, then resumed, does it also resume at the current run time... i.e. paused at 1:20, resumed at 3:40. Does it reflect this in the log?
Yes, the engine run time in the log is from the ECM.

RBob.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One way to verify is to hit space bar B4 end of log and again at startup of same run/log. It shows in analysis as a green highlight.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM

Car: '92 GMC C1500 RCSB
Engine: TBI + Vortec + EBL 383
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.08

So I came across a little info on FSC, is this still a viable solution for setting idle with EBL?
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...ml#post5538101

On the PCM that come in trucks from this forum the TPS is set to 0% at startup. As long a voltage is below .90 it will be OK, but ,54 is optimum.

If your engine is stock, TBI never rebuilt or wore out it should be fine for ever. If you have a built engine TBI conversion or some need to do it here's a list of how.

1. Timing
Disconnect the bypass wire and set timing to 0° at idle when warm. Procedure- warm up motor then turn off. Unplug bypass. Start motor. Set timing to 0°. Turn off motor. Reconnect bypass. Unplug ECM to clear fault code.

2. IAC reset/min idle speed- This sets the throttle plate on the throttle body to a specific rpm. It should be set to 100-125 RPM below idle commanded in bin file. At ALDL connector you need to put a jumper between pins A and B of the connector. These are pins A9 (what/blk) and A12 (blk/wht) on the ECM. This puts the ECM into ALDL mode. Turn the key on (not start) and the IAC should drive completely closed. You will normally hear a buzzing from the IAC. If you have the TunerPro running up and running on your laptop, or a Scan Tool you should see the IAC went from 145 to 0. Now unplug the IAC connector. Turn the key off. Remove jumper. Start motor. If the idle is too low you may have to keep it running. On the front drivers side of the throttle body is the adjustment screw. It will probably be behind a silver plug. If so just use a drill bit slowly to drill a hole, not to deep as to damage the torx screw behind it, just enough to use a punch to grab it and remove it. Then use a #20 torx bit to adjust the idle speed to at least 100 rpm less then your warm idle speed in bin. If 600 then set to 500 rpm. You are looking for the lowest consistent idle your motor will do. When set, turn off motor and reconnect the IAC. I try to keep the IAC count to at least 10-20 with the motor warm and idling. Higher number are OK but more air pushing gas past throttle blades on TBI engines is better!

3. TPS Throttle Position Sensor. With the idle set, you need to set the TPS idle voltage. This need to be set to about .54V to .60V
The TPS is on the passengers side and will have 2 screws holding it on. The factory TPS will not have much room in the holes for adjustments so I use a drill bit or file to elongate the holes as needed. Or bend tang on throttle shaft. To adjust, just loosen the screws and twist the TPS. You can monitor the voltage on Pin B of the connector with the key on or at pin C13 of the ECM. You can also see it in TunerPro or Scan tool! Anything away from .54V will also show as a percent of throttle on 1227747 ECM like .2 percent or 1.7 percent...depending on how far from .54 you are. But otherECM/PCM set to 0% when key on. I try to keep the idle setting to within 1 percent do to settings in bin file.

This is also a good time to check your TPS voltage. Once it is set, just watch the voltage as you open the throttle. you should see a steady rise in voltage up to about 4.5-4.8V at WOT-wide open throttle. If it jumps up and down or skips some then you will need to replace it.

Clear codes!

4. Fuel pressure The systems calculates the fuel needed based on the initial settings for injector size at a specific pressure. If the pressure changes then the fuel calculations will be off. I recommend checking the feed and return line pressures at the very beginning. This can save a lot of time later. The pressure on TBI should be 13 psi and 43.5 on TPI/MPFI with stock regulaters.
These are feed side pressures and should not change with rpm or load.

The return should be near 0 psi.

These are basics that need to be done before any tuning or data logging can begin.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
TGO Supporter

Then use a #20 torx bit to adjust the idle speed to at least 100 rpm less then your warm idle speed in bin. If 600 then set to 500 rpm.
Yes that is they way I did mine. I double checked it this past summer. Only diff is that I set the idle speed to my desired idle not 100 rpms under. As a result I have zero steps on IAC. If I set to 100 under I might have 10-20 steps or so. Idle never drops under by desired idle so I am OK. stall saver reacts if it does. Car wont die if I come to a sudden stop from speed. BUT I have a manual trans so that may be different.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Car: Pontiac
Engine: L03
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 / Drums

P4 Flash question.

The regular EBL Flash had a hole in it to pass my extra analog data channels through (EGT, AFR, etc), with the P4 I see no such pre-existing hole- must I bore into the case?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by KurtAKX
P4 Flash question.

The regular EBL Flash had a hole in it to pass my extra analog data channels through (EGT, AFR, etc), with the P4 I see no such pre-existing hole- must I bore into the case?
With the EBL P4 we left it up to the end user to decide how to run the wires. The reason is that with the EBL Flash the opening isn't always in the right place. It depends upon which vehicle it is installed into.

For the EBL P4 there are a number of options. A hole and grommet in the case works. Can also put a hole or slot into the MEMCAL cover. Or leave the MEMCAL cover ajar and clamp the wires with it (be sure to protect the wires).

There appears to be a couple of open pins on the ECM harness connectors (B2, C2, E1, & E2), can do the same as done with the comm cable. Just double check to be sure that they are open first.

RBob.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM

....There appears to be a couple of open pins on the ECM harness connectors (B2, C2, E1, & E2), can do the same as done with the comm cable. Just double check to be sure that they are open first.

RBob.
I may try that. I have problems with the idea of splitting the ECM case every time I want to change the configuration of my extra channels.

I might add a terminal block/terminal strip to the case.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Total newbie question here (just started driving with the EBL). Is there a traditional tabulated BLM display in the WUD somewhere? I've grown used to watching one fill in as I drive around, but I can't find a display like that. The VE learn page is the right format, but I don't see anything except a highlighted cell there - no BLM values.

EDIT: Okay, answered my own question. I see that if learn is enabled, then the correction table on the VE learn page displays the information I was after.

Last edited by Mastiff; 03-11-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 AM
TGO Supporter

"Analysis" give you a read of BLM and INT vs time. I use it a lot.

Note the replationship of BLM vs INT. How INT drives the BLM. Makes it clearer what is occurring.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ronny
"Analysis" give you a read of BLM and INT vs time. I use it a lot.

Note the replationship of BLM vs INT. How INT drives the BLM. Makes it clearer what is occurring.
Yeah, I like being able to see both clearly just on the main WUD display, but it also helps me to see the context of which VE cell I'm in. I'd like a stock ticker type display where it has the current BLM (or correction) in the VE box, plus an up or down arrow giving the current trend (driven by INT).
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM

just finished installing my P4 Flash.... now to get a file in it.

It's talking on the WUD, so that's good

Bob, is 128 the value for a cylinder count of 4?
Uncheck Option Word 6, Bit 7 for a 1 bbl TBI on top of a 4 cylinder?
Also, I don't see any "out-of-the-box" bins for a TBI system of any sort. Is there one that would be good to start with?

Last edited by KurtAKX; 03-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM

just finished installing my P4 Flash.... now to get a file in it.

It's talking on the WUD, so that's good

Bob, is 128 the value for a cylinder count of 4?
Uncheck Option Word 6, Bit 7 for a 1 bbl TBI on top of a 4 cylinder?
Also, I don't see any "out-of-the-box" bins for a TBI system of any sort. Is there one that would be good to start with?
Yes, 128 for a 4-cylinder.

Yes, uncheck the Port option flag. Can also uncheck the AsTAE flag. This is optional, TBI usually has it unset, but it will also work set.

When starting with a MPFI calibration will need to add a lot to the AE along with the proportional gains.

RBob.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Welp, can't quite get her to keep running.

First I had nothing (diagnosed back to forgetting the injector sense loop between D5 and D6)

Now, I have fuel coming out of the injector, but it does not appear to be enough. I had this setup running and driving (although not as well as I'd like) on the old EBL by faking out the BPC and stuff.

Here's what I'm working with:
1985 2.5 four cylinder Duke 4.030" bore 3" stroke 153 cubes.
Reworked stock wiring harness, which has CTS but not IAT.
TBI injected, one single 2" bore 1bbl TBI
"80 lb" 454 injector
12 psi fuel pressure, not vac referenced.
This cam
Name:  cam_card.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  40.9 KB

EBL P4 flash, jumper set to "T" on the board
Started from 3003.bin
Changed cyl count to 128 for a 4 cyl.
Unchecked "Port" option flag
Unchecked AsTAE
Set displacement per cylinder to 38.25
Set injector displacement to 80.

It would crank and fire and run for a couple seconds, then puke. I can stab at the gas and kinda get a few more seconds.

I tried a blanket increase of 1.2x on the whole low speed VE table, but it didn't really seem to make a measurable improvement.

I'm going to bed now, frustrated. I know I've gotta be missing something!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM

TH400 kickdown

This must be covered somewhere, but I can't find it. How do I configure EBL to kickdown TH400? I assume it's still pin A7, just repurposed instead of doing lockup? Do I need an external relay? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Re: TH400 kickdown

Originally Posted by Mastiff
This must be covered somewhere, but I can't find it. How do I configure EBL to kickdown TH400? I assume it's still pin A7, just repurposed instead of doing lockup? Do I need an external relay? Thanks.
Yes, need a relay. See the end of the Intro to Tuning Part2 on our site. That covers the parameters to set for TH400 kickdown. Note that the supplied cals that list a TH400 are set up this way.

RBob.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Welp, can't quite get her to keep running.

First I had nothing (diagnosed back to forgetting the injector sense loop between D5 and D6)

Now, I have fuel coming out of the injector, but it does not appear to be enough. I had this setup running and driving (although not as well as I'd like) on the old EBL by faking out the BPC and stuff.

Here's what I'm working with:
1985 2.5 four cylinder Duke 4.030" bore 3" stroke 153 cubes.
Reworked stock wiring harness, which has CTS but not IAT.
TBI injected, one single 2" bore 1bbl TBI
"80 lb" 454 injector
12 psi fuel pressure, not vac referenced.
This cam

EBL P4 flash, jumper set to "T" on the board
Started from 3003.bin
Changed cyl count to 128 for a 4 cyl.
Unchecked "Port" option flag
Unchecked AsTAE
Set displacement per cylinder to 38.25
Set injector displacement to 80.

It would crank and fire and run for a couple seconds, then puke. I can stab at the gas and kinda get a few more seconds.

I tried a blanket increase of 1.2x on the whole low speed VE table, but it didn't really seem to make a measurable improvement.

I'm going to bed now, frustrated. I know I've gotta be missing something!
Thinking about this, probably need to halve the injector flow rate. The reasoning is that a MPFI engine fires the injectors once per revolution, or twice a firing cycle.

While the TBI fires the injector on every plug firing, this is only once per firing cycle.

A quick check would be to look at the PW (from a data log) from the other ECM and compare it to the PW for this ECM. If it is a little more then half, then enter 40 #/hr for the injector flow rate.

RBob.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:10 PM

Yes, need a relay. See the end of the Intro to Tuning Part2 on our site. That covers the parameters to set for TH400 kickdown. Note that the supplied cals that list a TH400 are set up this way.

RBob.
Thanks. Can you explain how the circuit works? Does the transmission kick down when the connector at the trans is given +12? Does the ECM ground the TCC pin or send +5 for kickdown?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Thanks. Can you explain how the circuit works? Does the transmission kick down when the connector at the trans is given +12? Does the ECM ground the TCC pin or send +5 for kickdown?
Jeez, I dunno' ... The ECM does pull the q-driver outputs to ground, can't supply voltage.

RBob.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 PM

RBob.
Attached Thumbnails Tuning with the EBL-thm400_ds.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM

Great, thanks. To translate the picture, the trans wants +12 to kick down. The ECM pin pulls to ground for kickdown. So, use the ECM as the ground on the relay "enable" pair.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Thinking about this, probably need to halve the injector flow rate. The reasoning is that a MPFI engine fires the injectors once per revolution, or twice a firing cycle.

While the TBI fires the injector on every plug firing, this is only once per firing cycle.

A quick check would be to look at the PW (from a data log) from the other ECM and compare it to the PW for this ECM. If it is a little more then half, then enter 40 #/hr for the injector flow rate.

RBob.
Yep, injector flow rate/2 got me cranked right up!

Might be a nice thing to include in the EBL P4 Calibration html file for all one of us running this ECM with a 1bbl TBI

I kept getting the ESC error flag as well- is the 1k-ohm resistor not the solution for this, like it was on the EBL C3?

Now on to take care of the 100 other projects in front of this one for paying customers so I can start playing with tune!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Great, thanks. To translate the picture, the trans wants +12 to kick down. The ECM pin pulls to ground for kickdown. So, use the ECM as the ground on the relay "enable" pair.
Sounds like you have it. One thing to watch on GM relays, some have a diode across the coil which makes the coil polarity sensitive. With the diode being there to 'absorb' the coil's inductive kick-back (protects the ECM's q-driver).

RBob.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am/85 K5 Jimmy
Engine: 406 FIRST/350 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600/700R4
Axle/Gears: 9Bolt/10Bolt front & back

Hey guys,
I just got my EBL Flash in today for my TA. Some background on the engine, its a 400 SBC with 24lb inj and basically everything else is stock, its also a 5spd. After doing about 12ish learns today it was still maxing out and adding on the VE around the middle of the table(VE table that shows corrections on the WUD). Should I keep letting it do learns? The graph isnt looking that pretty with it being flat way up top and not very smooth.

The other question I had was about spark knock. I am experiencing knock from 1600-4800rpms and from 40-85KPa. Its basicly squared off area of the table on the areas of spark knock table on the WUD. I have been lowing my timing in that area and even everywhere and I cant tell if its getting better. Should i just keep lowering my SA table until the knock is gone?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM

Yep, injector flow rate/2 got me cranked right up!

Might be a nice thing to include in the EBL P4 Calibration html file for all one of us running this ECM with a 1bbl TBI

I kept getting the ESC error flag as well- is the 1k-ohm resistor not the solution for this, like it was on the EBL C3?

Now on to take care of the 100 other projects in front of this one for paying customers so I can start playing with tune!

That's good. This will be added to the calibration doc. We just really didn't expect a 4-cyl TBI user, so didn't do much with it. Almost removed all of the TBI code at one time too.

As for the ESC error, with the EBL P4 no need to do anything to fake out the ECM. Remove the 1K, no knock filter or MEMCAL with a knock filter.

Set up like this there shouldn't be any knock counts. If no counts but an error, then un-check this option flag:

Option Word 3 - Bit 1 - EscTt

This optional test is the ADC voltage check on a P4 style knock sensor (3.9K).

RBob.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by dabomb6608
Hey guys,
I just got my EBL Flash in today for my TA. Some background on the engine, its a 400 SBC with 24lb inj and basically everything else is stock, its also a 5spd. After doing about 12ish learns today it was still maxing out and adding on the VE around the middle of the table(VE table that shows corrections on the WUD). Should I keep letting it do learns? The graph isnt looking that pretty with it being flat way up top and not very smooth.

The other question I had was about spark knock. I am experiencing knock from 1600-4800rpms and from 40-85KPa. Its basicly squared off area of the table on the areas of spark knock table on the WUD. I have been lowing my timing in that area and even everywhere and I cant tell if its getting better. Should i just keep lowering my SA table until the knock is gone?
As long as the VE isn't hitting 100% then continue with the VE Learns. If the VE hits 100% then the BPC vs VAC table needs to be increased. This is as long as the high RPM injector duty cycle is still under 86%. Once above that then more injector is required.

Note that this is with the proper exhaust AFR, as too rich will use up injector.

Don't worry about the VE table not being smooth. It will smooth out over time.

As for the knock, it may be false. Generally, remove half of the peak retard shown from the SA table in the areas of knock. That should greatly reduce the peak knock retard. If it doesn't then it is likely false knock.

RBob.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

I'm trying to set up a starter bin for my car, so I'm sure I'll have a few more questions pretty soon.

First, I started with a manual transmission calibration, what all do I need to change to work with an auto?

TCC option word is set.

I'm getting an OD flag with the transmission in gear. In the calibration, I'm seeing a 3rd gear and a 4th gear switch. I'm pretty sure I just need to clear the 4th gear switch to make it work right. Does the third gear switch do anything in my application?

My car's an '88 GTA, 700r4 auto.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
TGO Supporter

Toward bottom of page is info on TCC and Auto Trans

http://dynamicefi.com/Tune_Intro2.php
Old 03-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks Ronny, but "Option Word 2 - Bit 5 - HiGrH" is not used in the P4 flash. I assume it was replaced by option word 7 - Bit 2 - 4ThIn. I'm guessing since I didn't have to worry about 3rd gear anything in my old $6e bin, I shouldn't have to with the EBL.

All the TCC tables match an auto bin I compared to.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta
Thanks Ronny, but "Option Word 2 - Bit 5 - HiGrH" is not used in the P4 flash. I assume it was replaced by option word 7 - Bit 2 - 4ThIn. I'm guessing since I didn't have to worry about 3rd gear anything in my old $6e bin, I shouldn't have to with the EBL.

All the TCC tables match an auto bin I compared to.
Correct on the "option word 7 - Bit 2 - 4ThIn" option for the 4th gear switch polarity. Do a key-on, engine-off, shifter in park or neutral should show P/N on the WUD. Move the shifter to any drive position and the WUD should show 1/2.

If it shows 3rd, change the 3RdIn flag: Option Word 7 Input Polarity - Bit 1 - 3rdIn
If it shows OD, change the 4ThIn flag: Option Word 7 Input Polarity - Bit 2 - 4thIn

The 700R4 usually doesn't have a 3rd gear switch. So the WUD will show either: P/N, 1/2, or OD.

Meaning of changing the flag is: if set, unset it, or, if unset, set it.

RBob.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Car: Corvette
Engine: 388 HSR custom Cam see sig
Axle/Gears: D44 3:45
Re: New Tranny ?

Yes: Option Word 2 - Bit 5 - HiGrH

Easiest to use the WUD, key-on, engine-off, foot on the brake, place shifter into any position except park or neutral. If the WUD displays 'D' you are good to go. If it displays 'OD' then flip the option flag.

IIRC how this works, with an N/C switch the flag needs to be checked. HiGrH is for high when in 4th. An N/C switch will be low in 1,2 & 3, then open for a high signal when in 4th.

RBob.
I finally got around to get this done. Tranny is in and I'm ready to fire. Ran thru the above process and Gear read 0
When in unchecked the flag, reflashed and the gear still reads 0

So now what do I do, I don't want to start this up without knowing how the .bin is set up. Don't want to ruin a new trannsmission
thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by slrvette
I finally got around to get this done. Tranny is in and I'm ready to fire. Ran thru the above process and Gear read 0
When in unchecked the flag, reflashed and the gear still reads 0

So now what do I do, I don't want to start this up without knowing how the .bin is set up. Don't want to ruin a new trannsmission
thanks
Ruin a new transmission? Sorry, the 700R4 isn't a computer controlled trans.

To get the proper gear indicator on the WUD, ALT+F -> F (PreFerence), then check the box for Auto after "Gear Indicator:".

RBob.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:23 PM

Ruin a new transmission? Sorry, the 700R4 isn't a computer controlled trans.

To get the proper gear indicator on the WUD, ALT+F -> F (PreFerence), then check the box for Auto after "Gear Indicator:".

RBob.
That did the trick!... thank you

Has anybody on here ever found a happy medium with the INT/BLM's?

Put the car away last fall with a pretty good tune.
Started it up today for the first time all winter. Go into Closed loop and 3 min's later after its up to temp my INT is 80 and BLM's 108.

Its always something it seems
Old 03-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

Couple of problems I'm working with today... Again, thanks to all of you for helping a noob out! Everything is so much different than my '165, and there's just so much information to dig through!

1. The speedometer in the WUD isn't working. Thinking this might be something I missed when I started with the 6-speed calibration, or maybe I loosened the vss buffer connector when I was tugging on wires under the dash. Only thing I can think of in the bin is O-word 3 bit 4 MagVs, which is set in both auto bins I've compared. Any ideas?

2. Fan1 flag comes on in the WUD, Fan1 stays off in the engine compartment. When flashing and while ALDL pins A&B are jumpered, the fan comes on as they should.

I'll keep searching, Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Has anybody on here ever found a happy medium with the INT/BLM's?

Put the car away last fall with a pretty good tune.
Started it up today for the first time all winter. Go into Closed loop and 3 min's later after its up to temp my INT is 80 and BLM's 108.

Its always something it seems
If the INT/BLMs were OK at the beginning of Winter, it may be that for some reason the fuel pressure increased. Or the injectors are dirty. Something changed to cause them to drop like that, they are bottomed out for removing fuel.

I recall a silicone poisoned O2 sensor, did the same thing. Reports rich and pushes the fuel trims down to the point that the engine would cut out.

Although, if the engine isn't cutting out, then it likely isn't that. A bad FPR diaphragm would also cause low fuel trims.

RBob.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta
Couple of problems I'm working with today... Again, thanks to all of you for helping a noob out! Everything is so much different than my '165, and there's just so much information to dig through!

1. The speedometer in the WUD isn't working. Thinking this might be something I missed when I started with the 6-speed calibration, or maybe I loosened the vss buffer connector when I was tugging on wires under the dash. Only thing I can think of in the bin is O-word 3 bit 4 MagVs, which is set in both auto bins I've compared. Any ideas?

2. Fan1 flag comes on in the WUD, Fan1 stays off in the engine compartment. When flashing and while ALDL pins A&B are jumpered, the fan comes on as they should.

I'll keep searching, Thanks!
Glad you mentioned the '7165, it is the MagVs flag, needs to be un-set so that the ECM uses the optical VSS input.

> 2. Fan1 flag comes on in the WUD, Fan1 stays off in the engine compartment.

This one doesn't sound good. Since it works when in limp mode but not when commanded by the ECM, I'd say that the ECM went bad. The limp mode operation of the fan is the last gate before the driver. With the ECM control over the fan being further upstream of this gate.

If so can send it in for warranty replacement. If you want to drive the car and need the fan can use Fan 2, ECM pin F8 (Fan 1 is on E8, move to F8). Can then set up fan 2 for the proper temperatures. Note that Fan 2 output won't turn on when in limp mode and when flashing.

Can also tie the two pins together (E8 & F8) and to the fan relay wire. This will provide limp mode fan control while also allowing the ECM to control it.

RBob.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

I'd say that the ECM went bad.
Sucky. I'll send you a PM.

Your support of your product is second to none though! I appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM

If the INT/BLMs were OK at the beginning of Winter, it may be that for some reason the fuel pressure increased. Or the injectors are dirty. Something changed to cause them to drop like that, they are bottomed out for removing fuel.

I recall a silicone poisoned O2 sensor, did the same thing. Reports rich and pushes the fuel trims down to the point that the engine would cut out.

Although, if the engine isn't cutting out, then it likely isn't that. A bad FPR diaphragm would also cause low fuel trims.

RBob.
Once I get some leaks taken care of I'll look more into this. I just find it hard to believe that I'd have to go through these items again and again.

Injectors are new
diaphram is new on the FPR, fuel pressure is the same as it was when I put it away
02 is working and crossing over the set point.
No exhaust leaks
Vac is the same reading as it was last summer

I have two other vettes and I put them away each winter and they start and run just fine. Seems like it aways something. sorry to vent a bit just a long day and I'm not looking forward to the INT/BLM figuring out.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Once I get some leaks taken care of I'll look more into this. I just find it hard to believe that I'd have to go through these items again and again.

Injectors are new
diaphram is new on the FPR, fuel pressure is the same as it was when I put it away
02 is working and crossing over the set point.
No exhaust leaks
Vac is the same reading as it was last summer

I have two other vettes and I put them away each winter and they start and run just fine. Seems like it aways something. sorry to vent a bit just a long day and I'm not looking forward to the INT/BLM figuring out.
I don't believe that this is a tuning issue. The INT & BLM are removing A LOT of fuel. An INT of 80 is reducing the injector PW by 0.733 msec.

A BLM of 108 is going to reduce the PW by 15.6%.

So a 4.0 msec PW (typical for a medium load) is first reduced by the BLM:

4.0 msec * 15.6% = 0.624 msec for a 3.376 msec PW

With the INT subtracting 0.733 msec from that for a 2.643 msec final PW.

Which ends up being a 34% reduction in the amount of fuel being delivered.

I do have a question, does the EBL 'Vette run OK?

RBob.

P.S. sorry, a little long winded...
Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 PM

I don't believe that this is a tuning issue. The INT & BLM are removing A LOT of fuel. An INT of 80 is reducing the injector PW by 0.733 msec.

A BLM of 108 is going to reduce the PW by 15.6%.

So a 4.0 msec PW (typical for a medium load) is first reduced by the BLM:

4.0 msec * 15.6% = 0.624 msec for a 3.376 msec PW

With the INT subtracting 0.733 msec from that for a 2.643 msec final PW.

Which ends up being a 34% reduction in the amount of fuel being delivered.

I do have a question, does the EBL 'Vette run OK?

RBob.

P.S. sorry, a little long winded...
I agree I don't think its necessarily a tuning issue... more like a tuner issue though...lol
I had to get thru a tranny leak and coolant temp switch today that wasn't working.
What I need to do is datalog

The car runs fine..smells rich. It did this last summer to and I was never really able to get it fixed or resolved. In the fall however it acted a lot better.

This is what I noticed after going into CL.
INT would slowly drop to 80
BLM's to 108
This was all at idle
I watched my o2 sensor and it was crossing over the crossover points
Once I would rev it
INT would jump back up to 128 along with the BLM's then as it would begin to idle again it would drop back down to 80. Still in CL
So i think its a idle issue.
This was done while in Park

Fall of last year I didn't have this issue.

I will try and get a real datalog done tomorrow.
thanks

Quick Reply: Tuning with the EBL