Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Questions about stock security systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi/3.23
Questions about stock security systems

I have a 91 Camaro RS with the computer chip in the key and I have no clue how this security system works. A few days ago my car went into "security mode" and I couldn't get it to start. It eventually worked after about an hour or so but I'd really like to know how to disable the thing if it ever happens again. I'd also like to know what causes it to go into "security mode". If anyone has any answers for me I thank you ahead of time.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:43 AM

Car: '89 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
First, let me say that there is a simple way to bypass it, but it's not quick or easy.(in other words, it can't be done in the parking lot ).

Most with the VATS system are not quick to give up details on it, as it is quite good at keeping your car from being stolen. It is also very adept at leaving the autos' owner stranded in the parking lot!

The whole thing boils down to the fact that your computer "reads" the resistance factor in the chip contained on the key. If that factor is incorrect, security is inacted and the car will not start.

A "misread" is usually, at least from what I understand, caused by bad contacts on either the key or on the contact points in the tumbler. If cleaning them doesn't help then its' very possible that one or both of the wires connected to the tumler(inside the column)has shorted.

If all else fails, I'd reccomend taking it to a dealership. It might save you some bucks on Tylenol!

NM
Old 11-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
its extremely simple, yet effective.

your keys "chip" is a resistor.
when you place your key in the keyhole, two contacts touch the resistor chip and it "reads" the resistance.

if its correct, the car starts. if its not, or theres nothing there, the security light comes on.

if the contacts are dirty, either the ones on the key or the ones in the column, then it will not work. i would try cleaning thoes first.

as for it leaving you stranded.... well, i would have been stranded if the car started for the people who tried to steal it.

i think most VATS key problems arnt caused by VATS. the owner gets somthing on the contacts. or you move the wires under the dash somehow, or somthing of that nature.

overall, its a extremly reliable and simple system. and if it does fail, it can be bypassed in the parking lot, if you do your homework ahead of time.

hidden in my car somwhere is a key and a resistor... if i ever loose my keys, i can still start my car.
if someone ever found my key, they still cant start it. its just a regular non VATS copy.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:22 PM

Ya' know, MrDude_1, I hadn't thought about doing a "prep".....but it would work.

Something similar to what I've got in my stepdaughters' '89 Formula.

I bypassed VATS but set the resistors up on the plug from the bottom of the column. If I don't want it to move, I just unplug the piece and stick it in my pocket. It don't move 'till I say it moves.

Might not be a bad idea for those with operational VATS to set up something like that in advance.....then you're never stranded!

NM
Old 11-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Fairly Strange
Ya' know, MrDude_1, I hadn't thought about doing a "prep".....but it would work.

Something similar to what I've got in my stepdaughters' '89 Formula.

I bypassed VATS but set the resistors up on the plug from the bottom of the column. If I don't want it to move, I just unplug the piece and stick it in my pocket. It don't move 'till I say it moves.

Might not be a bad idea for those with operational VATS to set up something like that in advance.....then you're never stranded!

NM

i think its a great idea. know your VATS key resistance.

that also means if you goto any good locksmith, they can cut you a key for your car from the approperate blank.... or even make you a new key, and you dont have to mess with the VATS prob.

btw, good thing im not the one you're trying to keep the car away from... i once disassembled the steering/ign lock on the spitfire just so i could take it to the store...
Old 11-25-2003, 02:27 PM

He-he.....disassemble all you want!

As long as those resistors are in my pocket I know it ain't goin' anywhere!

Thats' how my stepdaughter got the car so cheap....nobody could make it run. Not even the owner!LOL

'Course, I've since had to replace the steering column from where they mutilated it in their final attempt.

Trouble was, it took me over a year, several scrap TV's and a lot of patience to accomplish the mission.....but I think it was worth it for an otherwise untouched and all original '89 Formula for $550!

NM
Old 11-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

He-he.....disassemble all you want!

As long as those resistors are in my pocket I know it ain't goin' anywhere!

Thats' how my stepdaughter got the car so cheap....nobody could make it run. Not even the owner!LOL

'Course, I've since had to replace the steering column from where they mutilated it in their final attempt.

Trouble was, it took me over a year, several scrap TV's and a lot of patience to accomplish the mission.....but I think it was worth it for an otherwise untouched and all original '89 Formula for $550!

NM

knowlage is power.... if you know all of the resistor codes (theres like 13-15 or somthing) and you have the time to let it reset after each attempt, you can try each combo until it works.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:42 PM

LOL!!!!!

There are 14. I had the list at one time. Can't remember where I got it, nor do I know what I did with it.

"put in a resistor, try it....if it don't work, wait 4 minutes and try the next one". Yeah, I know the proceedure.

Word of advice to possible car thieves.....DON'T TRY THIS IN A PARKING LOT!!!!!!!ROTFLMAO

It took me about 2 hours under controlled conditions to pull it off....and I KNEW the values and had a drawer full of the correct resistors...labeled and compartmentalized!

I gotta' admit....its' a d**n good security system!

NM
Old 11-25-2003, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

LOL!!!!!

There are 14. I had the list at one time. Can't remember where I got it, nor do I know what I did with it.

"put in a resistor, try it....if it don't work, wait 4 minutes and try the next one". Yeah, I know the proceedure.

Word of advice to possible car thieves.....DON'T TRY THIS IN A PARKING LOT!!!!!!!ROTFLMAO

It took me about 2 hours under controlled conditions to pull it off....and I KNEW the values and had a drawer full of the correct resistors...labeled and compartmentalized!

I gotta' admit....its' a d**n good security system!

NM

im always devils advocate.... so i have to mention

14 x 4 is still under a hour. so if i watch you walk into a movie theater, park in a airport parking space, ect, i KNOW you will give me enough time to steal it.
not to mention, the odds of it being the last code i try is 1 out of 14. the odds of it being the 2nd to last code is 1 out of 7, ect.......

so the odds of me, armed with the knowlage of the car, stealing your car when you go into the theater is pretty darn good.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:26 PM

I must admit....if you have the resistors preped to "plug-in", and can get past the steering wheel lock, and have a KNOWN amount of time....theft would be easy.

(wheel and lockplate, along with starter actuator switch can be pulled while swapping resistors)

I'm sure the thieves know this.

They also know that a sin wave generator and a hard tug on the wheel is a whole lot quicker, especially if you're after multiple aquisitions in one evening.

Nice thing is.....most who know how wouldn't do it, those who don't are sure to try!

NM