Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

1989 Carpet replacement preference & colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 03:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
1989 Carpet replacement preference & colors

Does anybody have any input / thoughts about replacement carpets? Brands?

I have an 1989 convertible & the carpet is faded & the worst of it is between the rear seats.
I have ordered ACC carpets for other cars & have had good luck with them & I see they do list
them for 3rd gens.

However, these seats (and I assume carpet) is called Beechwood according to RPO 661
ACC's colors do not list this color. Anyone know if one of the other tan colors listed is a match to beechwood?

Or do I have to live with it being a bit faded?

Medium Doeskin maybe?
Old 08-01-2023, 03:28 PM

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: 91 TA Vert WS6-94 TA Vert
Engine: 5.0/5.7 LT1
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73-3.42
Re: 1989 Carpet replacement preference & colors

I believe ACC and www.stockinteriors.com is the same company. They have many, many more carpet colors than they list on their website. You either need to call or email them and ask them to send you other swatches, or send them a little piece that's been hidden and not worn or sun damaged, and they'll match it.

I too have the Beechwood interior in my 91 TA Vert, and I been thinking of going with their color #9205......which is pretty close. I bought their front mats in that color to see how I liked it first, and I do........It would also require some yardage so I could do the bottoms of the door panels.

BTW.....Doeskin isn't even close.

Last edited by Roorancher; 08-01-2023 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add sentence.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Roorancher
I believe ACC and www.stockinteriors.com is the same company. They have many, many more carpet colors than they list on their website. You either need to call or email them and ask them to send you other swatches, or send them a little piece that's been hidden and not worn or sun damaged, and they'll match it.

I too have the Beechwood interior in my 91 TA Vert, and I been thinking of going with their color #9205......which is pretty close. I bought their front mats in that color to see how I liked it first, and I do........It would also require some yardage so I could do the bottoms of the door panels.

BTW.....Doeskin isn't even close.
Any chance you could post pictures of your 9205 floor mats against your carpet? I bought some ACC floor mats for my 89 GTA in gray & they are nice, but slightly darker than the original carpet.

I just tried to search 9205 on ACC's website & there were no results.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by F-body-fan
Any chance you could post pictures of your 9205 floor mats against your carpet? I bought some ACC floor mats for my 89 GTA in gray & they are nice, but slightly darker than the original carpet.

I just tried to search 9205 on ACC's website & there were no results.
Sorry, my phone is in the repair shop, I'm using a really old phone temporarily, and I could not access this site last night, as I do not have a computer at home.

Did you not read what I wrote? I said they had many other carpet colors besides what's listed on their website, so you WILL NOT see 9205 there. You're going to have to call or email them to get a swatch, and get other swatches that are in the same "colorway."

Here are some pictures for you with the 9205 mat against the interior carpet in the car. You have to remember that the carpet in the car is 32 years old, and also, textile colors are affected color wise between natural light and artificial light, and also directionality. In other words, if I show a mat one way, and then flip it around, the color may look different. That's just the way it is.

If you decide to order it, make sure you spend the additional $75 or $100, and get it backed.

The pictures are as follows:
Mat against the leather seat
Mat along side the center console
Mat against the carpet in front of the seat
Mat against the vinyl on the back if the door panel
Mat against the carpet on the front of the door panel.

The following users liked this post:
T.L. (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Roorancher
Sorry, my phone is in the repair shop, I'm using a really old phone temporarily, and I could not access this site last night, as I do not have a computer at home.

Did you not read what I wrote? I said they had many other carpet colors besides what's listed on their website, so you WILL NOT see 9205 there. You're going to have to call or email them to get a swatch, and get other swatches that are in the same "colorway."

Here are some pictures for you with the 9205 mat against the interior carpet in the car. You have to remember that the carpet in the car is 32 years old, and also, textile colors are affected color wise between natural light and artificial light, and also directionality. In other words, if I show a mat one way, and then flip it around, the color may look different. That's just the way it is.

If you decide to order it, make sure you spend the additional $75 or $100, and get it backed.

The pictures are as follows:
Mat against the leather seat
Mat along side the center console
Mat against the carpet in front of the seat
Mat against the vinyl on the back if the door panel
Mat against the carpet on the front of the door panel.
Thanks for your efforts. & I agree. Amazing how much even your same matt color appears to change from picture to picture. Hard to capture what the human eye can see.

That said & based on what you posted, is it your opinion that its the same color, just a bit darker in your car?
Old 08-02-2023, 02:32 PM

It was the best of the half dozen samples they sent me....
It is a little darker, and is a little more gold-leaning than the original, but being 32 years old, I hesitate to say one way or the other.

I also went back thru my emails from February of 2022, and see they also sent me a sample of #8295, which is called "medium doeskin." I rejected that and went with the color I have, but that one may suit your tastes better. I'd get both, and when you do, I'd be interested in your opinion.

That being said, come the cooler weather, (it's 108 here today, that's the color carpet I'm going to order, (#9205,) along with an extra yard so that my upholsterer can replace the carpet on the door cards.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:14 AM

Did you end up ordering a carpet in #9205 last fall? If so, how did it turn out?

Old 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM

Funny you should ask....
Been doing other things and life gets in the way.
A couple of months back I decided the more urgent need, (as if anything on the car's interior is urgent,) to replace the door cards, as a lot of the holes, especially for the top rail fasteners were blown out.
in doing so, I ordered a yard of 9205 to replace the pieces at the bottom of the panel under the cup holder. I was able to save all the original upholstery and foam. The right side is finished. My upholsterer is doing the left side this week.
That all being said, i do have the full 9205 floor carpet on order and paid for, but its on backorder with no ETA.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:50 AM

I was going to call & request some samples from ACC, but knowing you also have beechwood & already did the research I am sure I would end up with the same 9205. I was going to order new carpet & floor mats soon.
Same thing here, other projects & life events push back the lesser important things....