Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Holley motor mounts not lining up

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley motor mounts not lining up

Motor mount off on one side about an inch. I have the Holley motor mounts crossmember for the transmission. Headers and true dual exhaust. Supposed to be a complete system but I'm having trouble getting the motor mounts to line up with the clam shells. Anyone else had this problem

Old 08-18-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Holley motor mounts not lining up

Look at Linsons build thread.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:50 PM

Thanks I will try to find it.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by donnieb
Thanks I will try to find it.
haven't figured out how to share other threads but it's title is Linsons Formula and it's on page 7, he had exact same issue.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:07 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...hlight=Linsons
Old 08-18-2018, 10:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

It looks like your crossmember is notched, but not boxed in.
You need to finish that job. Break out the welder.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:51 PM

Driver's side mount
Black dots show how high the motor would have to sit for both sides to fit
Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
It looks like your crossmember is notched, but not boxed in.
You need to finish that job. Break out the welder.
Thanks for the link to the thread I did read last night. Unfortunately my clamshells oriented the correct way. I tried to contact Holley too wanting some measurements of the mounts but haven't had much luck. Today I put the driver's side mount on and moved the pass side mount up and put black marks on the kmember to show how far it is off. I guess I could split the difference on both side and drill new hole but wondering if that will change the geometry of how the motor will sit in the engine bay.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Have you read this?
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...nt-issues.html
Most likely your poly mounts are installed in the wrong orientation.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...ml#post6160983
Here is Linson's answer:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...ml#post6162393

Last edited by NoEmissions84TA; 08-19-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Elongate the holes on both of the Holley motor mounts or slotted would be a better word.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:02 AM

Would it be better to slot the motor mounts or the kmember?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Would it be better to slot the motor mounts or the kmember?
I wouldn't do either until you verify that the orientation of your poly inserts in your engine mount cages is correct and that the orientation of the cages on your engine is correct. The step in the cages should be to the bottom of the engine when properly installed and the inserts should be oriented so that the end that protrudes further out beyond the edge of the cages is pointed towards the front of the car on the passenger side and towards the rear of the car on the driver side.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:42 PM

Toddoky thanks for the reply. I will triple check when i get home tonight how i have the poly mount tn the cages. I was looking at some pictures that i took yesterday and of the one's in Linson's pontiac 350 build that maybe the problem. I know the cages are not upside down because there are tabs that hit the webbing if they are not mounted correctly. I read a lot of your post when i was trying to decide on which system to go with. Thanks NoEmissions84TA and Jbuchanan for your replies too. I will let you know what i find out later tonight.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:12 PM

I took the clamshells apart so you could see that the orientation of the poly bushing is correct with the longer tab on the passenger towards the front. Driver's side to the rear. After I took them apart there is really only one way to put the poly bushings in the mounts
Here's a picture that I was looking at earlier when I thought mine weren't right. The picture on the top is from another post where a guy was using spohn clamshells. Is there anyway I can get some measurements of the Holley mounts?? Its probably something I'm overlooking but I have been messing with them for about 2 weeks now
Old 08-20-2018, 08:00 PM

You are doing the right thing by backing up and verifying that everything is correct before proceeding. Interestingly, the inserts in the photo you referenced are installed incorrectly in the clamshells; they are installed facing each other in a symmetrical fashion when they should be pointing in the same direction. I helped Linson get through this issue sometime back and if you read his thread you will find his post that states the engine went in "easy, way too easy", once he got the orientation correct. The Hooker brackets you have are no different than what he used on his car, but what is different I believe is the brand of inserts both of you used...you have the Prothane inserts and I think he used the Energy Suspension inserts.
It's worthwhile for you to know that the Hooker set-up was designed around the geometry of the stock GM mounts, which neither the Energy Suspension or Prothane mounts emulate very well in terms of geometry. If you need proof to that effect, do some searching on ls1tech.com about the methods that users have adopted to get poly inserts installed into 4th-gen F-bodies. The common method is to install one one side on the car and then put a spare tire jack between the engine and the car frame on the other side of the car and jack the engine over far enough towards the other side to allow the through-bolt to be installed into the other mount. I can also tell you that this was confirmed in the development process of the Hooker mounts when the stock, Prothane and Energy Suspension mounts were digitized to allow a detailed comparison to be made...they are very far off the mark.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:55 PM

I ordered these directly off the instructions for the installation. They are the 7 - 5 12. I figured this would be an upgrade to the stock mounts. I have no problem using the stock mounts I will order them tonight if you think that will resolve the issue. I don't know if you have ever used the prothane mount but if I install them any other way in the clamshell the tab is at the bottom. I still have the original bushing that I took out and I will put them back in tomorrow and try it.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 PM

I ordered these directly off the instructions for the installation. They are the 7 - 5 12. I figured this would be an upgrade to the stock mounts. I have no problem using the stock mounts I will order them tonight if you think that will resolve the issue. I don't know if you have ever used the prothane mount but if I install them any other way in the clamshell the tab is at the bottom. I still have the original bushing that I took out and I will put them back in tomorrow and try it.
Yes, the tab would be at the bottom unless you install the clamshell itself upside down on the engine, which happens quite frequently as some LS/Vortec blocks allow that to happen. It would be a useful exercise to install the stock rubber inserts and give it another shot to rule that out. If you end up having that much difficulty with the Prothane inserts, I will lean towards remove the reference to them in the instructions. As others have mentioned, you can slot holes if you are intent on using those particular poly inserts.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 PM

Put the original inserts back in the clamshells and in 10 minutes had the kmember mounted into the motor mounts. Thank you for the information I appreciate it a lot but a little frustrated that the option for inserts does not say that their could be some misalignment with after market inserts. Thank you again
Old 08-21-2018, 05:24 PM

Glad you got it, keep the pics coming. Have you started a build thread?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Thanks. No I haven't. I have taken a lot of pictures and have done some upgrades. 2000 ws6 rearend and gas tank. I have the harness reworked but think I'm going to extend it
​​​so I can move it inside for a cleaner look.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 PM

I have used the Prothane inserts in the past with mixed results and based on your experience I’m going to remove the reference to them in the instruction sheet. Linson reported a drop-in successful install using the Energy Suspension inserts, so that is an option for you if you want to go with poly mounts. I’m glad I came across your thread and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:39 PM

No need to apologize I appreciate the information that you gave me to get over this hurdle. I'm glad you saw the thread and was able to help. I figured I'd have several things that stumped me along the way.