Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

axle seal leaking on 9 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
axle seal leaking on 9 bolt

Yep the driver side is seeping. Since these are bolt in axles I am assuming the axle bearing/seal is one assembly that is pressed onto the axle? Or is there just a seal that taps onto the housing itself? Reason I ask is I can't get any parts stores around here to find it, they want me to take it apart and bring it to them to try to match something up, I can't do this. I want the part in hand before I disassemble the car. I don't want to run all over town with my axle looking for parts. Anyway, could someone please tell me if there is a seperate seal there or is this assembly just like the old BOP rearends with pressed on bearing/seal? A part number would be a huge help since the parts stores don't know what I am talking about Thanks in advance, Larry.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Somebody should put a sticky on this page -

NAPA HAS 9-BOLT PARTS

Left axle seal 16491
Right axle seal 16542
Axle bearing (which is why the seal leaks in the first place) BR9

A few more

Carrier bearing race LM102911
Carrier bearing cone LM102949
Pinion bearing cone HM89446 (not sure if this is the head bearing or the tail bearing)
Pinion bearing cone HM89410 (must be the other one)
Pinion bearing race HM86610
Pinion bearing race ?? this one is not on web site?
Pinion seal 16545
Old 05-05-2005, 03:10 PM

9 bolt

Man thanks a million, you went through all the time to list all those part numbers, very cool, more than I asked for.
There is a Napa here local, I will try them tomorrow.

You listed the seal seperate from the bearing number as if these parts are seperate on the axle? I am thinking the axle can be removed and a seal installed without removing the bearing from the axle? Am I wrong in thinking this? I have rebuilt alot of rears but never a 9 bolt. All of the BOP rears I have redone had the axle and seal assembly pressed onto the axle as a unit from what I remember, I am guessing this 9 bolt is the same?
I had the caliper and rotor off to look at everything to determine the leak. After I realized the seal was seeping, I grabbed the axle and cannot feel any up and down play at all, very tight, rear never makes noise, and the fluid level is still full, (very small leak) but like you said the bearing usually causes the seal to fail, I won't know until I pull it out this weekend. Anyway, I may order both seal and bearing anyway, looking at the parts will help me determine how the assembly works together.
Again, Thanks for the info, I wrote it all down to keep in my folder. Larry.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

They are separate pieces.

No you cannot replace the seal without removing the bearing. It would be beyond stupid to re-use the old bearing anyway, even if it survives the R&R intact (which it probably won't), because the bearing being bad is almost certainly what's causing the seal to leak. Even if it isn't obviously failed, like growling or whatever.

The other pinion bearing race is in their paper catalog, it's just not on the web site. It always tickles me to see people say they can't find this stuff. I actually have trouble with accidentally getting 9-bolt stuff from them sometimes instead of 10-bolt parts, because of the way they list them; it says all except 7.75", and 7.75". You just have to kind of know that the 7.75" is the 9-bolt.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' IROC & 87' IROC conv
Engine: Both have Vortec TPI 350
Transmission: T-50
Axle/Gears: 3:42 & 3:73
There is a 1 piece replacement axle bearing available thru Parts America #3276007 Federal Mogul brand this may be a stronger bearing and possibly improve seal life?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

I don't think so... I could be wrong though, but I doubt it... usually those "repair bearings" are for C-clip rears, where the axle itself is actually the inner bearing race, and wipes out when the bearing goes bad. The "repair bearing" has its own inner race.

The 9-bolt isn't like that.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:30 AM

Car: 85' IROC & 87' IROC conv
Engine: Both have Vortec TPI 350
Transmission: T-50
Axle/Gears: 3:42 & 3:73
I have one in my hand it is not a repair bearing does have an inner race and comes with a press on bearing retainer, I will try it later in a spare parts axle I have.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:43 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: Yes
Engine: Many
Transmission: Quite a few
I'm gonna be diggin into my 9 bolt soon. From what I can tell, there are 4 pieces on the axle. the outer plate, the seal, the bearing, then a press fit collar. So it should be similar to the BOP housings you've worked on.

for you guys that have pulled axles, is that press fit collar tack welded to the axle? I have seen this before, and I just want to know the pain ahead of time if possible.

thanks!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:07 AM

9 bolt

Thanks for all your help guys, I now have the bearing and retainer collar in my hand. The seal will be here this afternoon.
Now that I have it in hand, yes this is just like BOP rearend setup, as a matter of fact the bearing part number crosses over to BOP rearends of 30+ years ago so that was a relief, the seal though is a little different.
JWscab, the press on collar is not tach welded onto the axle, it should just press off and press new one back on. You can also drill a small hole in the collar (not all the way through) and then tap it will chisel and hammer and they usually break in half, this helps if you don't have a press.
RB83L69, I agree with you entirely about replacing the bearing, once I realized the bearing had to come off first, I bought the bearing because I know even if the bearing is still good it will not survive the press operation and since it has to come off anyway, I figure it's a no brainer to put new one back on since it's only a measly $16 anyway. I rarely reuse old stuff if I have to R&R it so this makes sense to me.
As far as the cover gasket is concerned, Fel Pro does not list one so I ran over to the dealer with a GM part number in hand (thanks to RB83L69) and GM shows only 3 in the wharehouse, so I bought 2 of them (one for a spare) and they will be here Monday. I can do the bearing and seal repair tomorrow though without removing the cover if I jack up one side of the housing to keep the grease in, then I will change the grease next week when the gasket gets here. So I can atleast get the majority of the repair done now.
Thanks for all your help guys. Those part numbers helped tremendously Larry.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Bearings in general are like that.... they're somewhat standardized... so it's very very rare that one is not available at all, it's more a question of merely being able to find the right one.

NAPA also lists a cover gasket. I didn't feel like posting it because it's a waste of money.

I prefer the "tubular style" of gasket for those.
Attached Thumbnails axle seal leaking on 9 bolt-tubular-style-gasket.jpg  
Old 05-06-2005, 03:10 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Yes
Engine: Many
Transmission: Quite a few
cool, thanks for the info!