Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Just put new trans in. Big problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 05:36 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Just put new trans in. Big problems, please help!

I pulled out my 700R4 and put in the 4L60 I got out of a 90 RS. Put it in, put 5 quarts of fluid in, started it up and continued to add fluid until I got to a total of about 9 quarts. I took it for a ride, and it shifted VERY softly. Nowhere near as firmly as the trans I took out. Then while cruising slowly, I floored it and got no downshift. Going up a steep hill slowly, it never downshifted from drive. I reset the TV cable before I took it for the ride.

What's going on here? Did I just install a crap transmission, or did I just miss something? The car is an absolute pig with this thing.

Oh yeah, my speedo seems to be a mile off too. I replaced the electrical sender with my original mechanical one, but I did notice that the gear on my mechanical one is a much bigger diameter than the one on the electrical. It slid in without a problem though. Was I supposed to replace the gear on the output shaft too, or just the gear on the sender??

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 07-14-2001, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Jim,

Since ICQ is being picky, I'll just reply to your message here.

The not shifting is either a tranny problem or a TV cable problem. I'd double check the TV cable since its something that you can service yourself.

The soft shifting is probably due to mildly different valving since the car came from a RS rather than a Z.

Also don't forget that the 85 tranny was somewhat different than the 90 tranny. The shifts may feel VERY different.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:45 PM
TGO Supporter

I set the TV cable before I took it for my final ride. I've had the TV cable out of whack before, but never with results like this.

As for the shift, this is REAL soft. This is softer than a caprice type shift. It really, really shifts soft. Almost feels like it slips when it shifts. I can't imagine an RS being valved like that.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
Old 07-14-2001, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Hmmm... I can't think of anythign else to suggest really... was the fluid int he tranny clean when you drained it?
The tranny that was in my 91 3.1 was full of crap, made it pretty obvious it was bad. If the fluid was clean and didn't smell burned I'd suggest checking the level once the trannies had a chance to warm up. They hold something like 14 quarts total.
Old 07-14-2001, 10:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Fluid was sorta dark and full of sediment. The magnet had 1/8" of sediment on it. The bottom of the filter was coated in sediment. I'm guessing this thing is pretty much shot.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
Old 07-17-2001, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 Stealth Ram
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4
I have a 700r4 in my 92 RS and it shifts very very soft and feels almost like a slip....have a friend with the same thing....has to just be our trannys as opposed to the Z's

[This message has been edited by Gen X Mar0 (edited July 18, 2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 04:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Fluid was sorta dark and full of sediment. The magnet had 1/8" of sediment on it. The bottom of the filter was coated in sediment."

Kind of says it all doesn't it?

If you didn't put and IROC tranny in don't expect that it will be the same. One last shot, try this: To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the D button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting. Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid. Now, with the pedal still floored, press the D button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back as hard as you can and release the button. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:11 AM
TGO Supporter

Well, last night I put my old speedo drive gear on and put the governor from the old tranny in. There's a HUGE improvement now, but it's still not right. I'll try your TV adjustment tonight. I've adjusted it a couple times but the transmission still doesn't seem like it's shifting the way it should. At low rpm it seems to shift a little too early, at medium rpms it seems to shift fine, and at WOT it won't shift until 5500+ just like the old one.

The early shifts seem to be just like what my old trans did until I replaced the TV cable. This cable only has ~1000 miles on it though.

Too bad I wasn't in Rochester anymore. I'd drop it off and have you call me when it was functional. Our one and only tranny guy in my area retired and moved to florida.

I suppose it's reassuring to hear from other RS owners that theirs shifts softly too. Guess it's time for a transgo kit.

Oh, one more thing. I used the torque converter that came with that transmission. Would I notice a big improvement by switching to one out of a 91 L98 Camaro? I don't want to sink money into an aftermarket one because the T56 swap isn't real far away.

------------------
The IROC Homepage