TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

AE - MAP PW Settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: "84 Crossfire
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.54
AE - MAP PW Settings

Adjusting AE-MAP PW to cure lean spike (crossfire w/renegade) on WOT. I've reduced the values by 20% a few times already without any success. Must be other tables requiring adjustments. Suggestions?

Reading AE tuning is touchy. At the moment I'm just trying to get rid of that lean spike which is causing other issues. I assume I can finesse it more later as I come down this learning curve. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: AE - MAP PW Settings

Need to add to the PW tables to add fuel. Or reduce the AE filter tables to add fuel and lengthen the duration of AE.

RBob.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Need to add to the PW tables to add fuel. Or reduce the AE filter tables to add fuel and lengthen the duration of AE.

RBob.
Thanks. Perhaps that why is wasn't working. Must have misinterpreted this....
Old 09-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Mr. RBob - thanks again! I adjusted the tables based on your comments and no more knocking. Feels like I just came down half the learning curve. Of course I was working against myself before. Running much better , so much I actually had a hard time controlling a standing start fish tail.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cartrax
Mr. RBob - thanks again! I adjusted the tables based on your comments and no more knocking. Feels like I just came down half the learning curve. Of course I was working against myself before. Running much better , so much I actually had a hard time controlling a standing start fish tail.
Embarrassed to post this but knocks went away only temporarily - the next day they were back. Sounds crazy but sometimes it knocks other times under the same load and RPM conditions is doesn't . Also noted lean spikes actually never went away as I found spikes in the both logs on WOT. Knocks seem to occur a second or so after the lean AFR readings (btw knocking only noted after the lean spikes otherwise no knocking).

Doesn't look like AE. Adjusted and noticed AE kicks in immediately on WOT although it doesn't richen up for a good second or so. Then AFR's start going really rich - 9's 10's. That doesn't look like it needs more AE to me.

I figured I had fuel pump issues but after installing a new fuel pump and sending unit I'm still getting lean spikes and some knocks . Help, what else could causing these lean spikes?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 AM

Here I am talking to myself again and starting to understand why. As I'm digging into similar posts I'm learning how complex it is to get this right. Finding even some of most knowledgeable folks here struggle with these settings. There is no pat answer and sometimes it's trial and error that works the best. I also realized I shouldn't just start replacing components without exhausting AE and VE tweaks.

I do have a request though and that is I would like to compare my VE and AE tables to anyone's with a similar setup (383, Renegade, 80# Inj, mild cam mod) who has successfully adjusted theirs. My knocking and lean spike occur at WOT between 1700 and 2500 RPMs at KPAs of 95+. That's where I'm going to start playing with the values again. If anyone would care to send me or post their tables for comparison I'm hoping it will give me some point to reference. You can PM for email....

Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Be sure to keep enough fuel in the tank so that the pickup doesn't pull air. Another item is how much heat is in the engine. Do some pulls and the engine is going to build some heat, more then the first pull.

RBob.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
Be sure to keep enough fuel in the tank so that the pickup doesn't pull air. Another item is how much heat is in the engine. Do some pulls and the engine is going to build some heat, more then the first pull.

RBob.
Thanks for reply. Never let it get under 1/4 of a tank - old habit. It does get hotter but I don't think that's causing the issues. Something else is going on. It misses and records knocks like crazy now around 3600 RPMs and lower kpa's when revved in neutral. Not so much under load though... just the few noted at ~95-100 kpa's. Going back to some older bins I may have just hosed the current one into a FUBAR state or some other mechanical schtick going on.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Latest adventure - no gas from injectors. Correction - occasionally get spurts on cold crank then they shut off but sometimes no spurts on cold crank. Fuel pressure is there and I'm getting oil pressure readings while cranking. Must be an intermittent short somewhere or the ECM is hosed correct? It's not throwing any codes...

Last edited by Cartrax; 09-25-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cartrax
Latest adventure - no gas from injectors. Correction - occasionally get spurts on cold crank then they shut off but sometimes no spurts on cold crank. Fuel pressure is there and I'm getting oil pressure readings while cranking. Must be an intermittent short somewhere or the ECM is hosed correct? It's not throwing any codes...
Hello sport fans, fixed was a loose connection at coil.